Diastatic Power

Semper Sitientem

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone pay attention to Diastatic Power? In doing research, I understand the definition, process, >30, etc., but I’m not clear if I have a recipe with low DP whether I should be doing something different?

Most of my recipes have a DP close to, if not over 100. However, I have a pecan brown ale which has a DP of 42. One article I read stated that, with low DP, it will take substantially longer to break down the starches into simpler fermentable sugars. So, in those cases should I be looking at a 90 minute mash vs. the normal 60 or some other change to my process?

I'm aware of it, but I pay almost no attention to it.

Most of the time, mine is up over 100. However, I do have some iodine test papers that I use if I’m not sure that the conversion is complete. They are cheap and give a pretty good indication.

OP - Thanks for asking this question! I have been wondering the same thing lately...
If your DP is 40+, you don't have to worry overmuch about conversion. Under 30, you'd need to add more basemalt to convert the mash. You can leave it longer if you want to ensure complete conversion, but you really should be fine.
@Yooper - I recently built this based on a recipe I found in BYO... Recipe is pretty much exactly what they posted. Should I worry about my Diastic power being 32? Should I increase my mash time or add more base malt? Or let it ride?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1023508/vienna-lager-negra

OP - Thanks for asking this question! I have been wondering the same thing lately...

@Yooper - I recently built this based on a recipe I found in BYO... Recipe is pretty much exactly what they posted. Should I worry about my Diastic power being 32? Should I increase my mash time or add more base malt? Or let it ride?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1023508/vienna-lager-negra

Weyermann's dark Munich malt has plenty of enzymes to self convert, and should convert the corn. I probably would sub a pound of pilsner malt for a pound of the dark Munich to ensure enough DP, just in case, plus I don't like that much dark Munich anyway.

Weyermann's dark Munich malt has plenty of enzymes to self convert, and should convert the corn. I probably would sub a pound of pilsner malt for a pound of the dark Munich to ensure enough DP, just in case, plus I don't like that much dark Munich anyway.
Funny. I had started to add a couple pounds of pilsner malt for that exact purpose but changed it back, wanting to keep it closer to the original recipe.... I happen to love dark Munich... If it'll convert then I suppose I'll keep it.

Back