Goldpils Vienna Malt

Bubba Wade

Trial Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use Goldpils Vienna malt as their usual base malt? I have used it before as part of the base with standard 2-row malt. I am considering purchasing this in bulk, but this means I would switch my recipes to this base malt.

The primary differences that I know about are a difference in color (3.5°L vs 1.7°L) and a lower diastatic power (80 vs 140). It also seems to have a bit more residual sweetness.

Anything else I'm missing? I usually stick to brewing Belgians with the occasional APA.

I've never used it. I never really worry about color or clarity for that matter. I just like beer to taste good.

The residual sweetness might be a good compliment to a nice hoppy pale ale.....

Why are you thinking of swapping?

I used the Goldpils as a base malt for an American Pale Ale. It turned out very well and had a bit of “richness” to it. I’m curious if it would translate over to some other styles.

I don't know anythign about that brand but I've done a few different brews with Vienna as my base malt, that and Munich. Darker and richer than Marris Otter but I liked it.

I went to get some Melanoidin yesterday for tomorrow's brew, they didn't have any. Doing a little Goo Goo searching in the store, I found a suggestion that Vienna malt would give a similar result. I have never used Vienna. It is only 3.4% of the first, so it won't likely come through in a noticable way. Hope this is not off topic...

I used the Goldpils as a base malt for an American Pale Ale. It turned out very well and had a bit of “richness” to it. I’m curious if it would translate over to some other styles.
Color me intrigued. I've been experimenting with recipes for a nice APA but have not found anything to my liking yet. I think I will see if I can track down some Goldpils next!

I went to get some Melanoidin yesterday for tomorrow's brew, they didn't have any. Doing a little Goo Goo searching in the store, I found a suggestion that Vienna malt would give a similar result. I have never used Vienna. It is only 3.4% of the first, so it won't likely come through in a noticable way. Hope this is not off topic...

All the beers I've made with melanoidin have had an odd herbal flavor...almost like fresh cut clover smells if that makes sense. That is an interesting substitution recommendation. Please post your observations on the final product...if you remember;)

I’ve wondered about using this as a base as well. I am thinking of 70/30 Pilsner and this in a Helles in a few weeks.

All the beers I've made with melanoidin have had an odd herbal flavor...almost like fresh cut clover smells if that makes sense. That is an interesting substitution recommendation. Please post your observations on the final product...if you remember;)
Will do, haven't brewed this for a couple of years, I was a real rookie then. I can tell you that, at the time, it was my best brew to date. It was the first brew that raised the eyebrows of my beer snob friends.

Back