Figgy Pudding

Almost forgot to mention that I will end up barrel aging half of it in either rum, bourbon, or cognac.

Which would you choose and why?

Sounds cool! Maybe think about caramelizing the figs in the brown sugar before adding them to the beer?

I like the idea of caramelizing with brown sugar. That would definitely give it a twist. Going to add that to the recipe right now.

I'm also torn between the scottish yeast and maybe a saison. I've never done a saison yeast before, so i'm a little hesitant to do it in a christmas beer. Seems like i should go with a straight forward malt bill first to get a feel for the yeast flavor and temperament.

I'm also torn between the scottish yeast and maybe a saison. I've never done a saison yeast before, so i'm a little hesitant to do it in a christmas beer. Seems like i should go with a straight forward malt bill first to get a feel for the yeast flavor and temperament.
I don't know how this idea will come out. That said, I'd definitely use Scottish yeast for this concept.

I don't know how this idea will come out. That said, I'd definitely use Scottish yeast for this concept.

Is there something in the recipe that you feel is out of place or missing?

Is there something in the recipe that you feel is out of place or missing?
No, I've just never brewed with figs. Seems Saison would give a lot of out-of-place flavors in this beer.

It either the scottish, us-05, wlp-500, or a hefe strain. Any preferences?

Just using my imagination, the Scottish will work best with the figs.

You are probably right about the scottish being the best.

I thought about how belgian beers tend to have some dark fruit and stone fruit flavors, so I originally planned on wlp-500. However, I had some Scottish yeast and wanted to experiment. Who knows, I might toss in the Scottish and the Belgian yeast to see how they play together.

I have a massive fig tree with fruit ripening now. I'm thinking about a Belgian dark ale using Safale T-58. Debating the fig percentage. Thinking about 15% or so of total fermentables.

Has anyone made a recipe with figs?

I have a massive fig tree with fruit ripening now. I'm thinking about a Belgian dark ale using Safale T-58. Debating the fig percentage. Thinking about 15% or so of total fermentables.

Has anyone made a recipe with figs?

How does T-58 work for you? What temp do you ferm at? What is the final flavor profile? I've heard about spicy at anything above 62, but curious as I've never used it to my recollection.

I use this yeast for Belgian Strong Ale. I ferment around 64 F. This is used in a pretty heavy beer, so the flavors are not overwhelming. It's nice for some styles.

Back