Re-assign Custom Fermentable Fails

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When re-assigning a Custom fermentable in a recipe to be one now on Inventory - because it has a price now - the only way to do it is to delete it after first adding a new record.
Any attempt to select from the Inventory fails as you only get the option of the general Catalog. When trying to do this selection however - by clicking away out of the field - has the original Fermentable name replaced by the first entry of the Catalog - the only redress (if you can't remember what the malt was) is to quit editing and start again.
Custom entries were there to get round entries not in the General Catalog or local Inventory. Now you have it in the inventory it would make sense to be able to select it even if the respective PPG values etc are the same.
Not a big deal just extra work if you have to reassign lots of entries in a lot of old recipes.

upload_2020-7-7_18-13-44.png
upload_2020-7-7_18-15-6.png

upload_2020-7-7_18-16-24.png

upload_2020-7-7_18-18-27.png

Had to read this a few times already, but just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Since the inventory isn't an option in the custom ingredient name dropdown, you have to add the ingredient as non-custom then delete the custom ingredient entry?

I suppose we could have it match, but I see the custom ingredient in the recipe builder to be more of adding a new ingredient, and separate from inventory so I'd want to run that by @Yooper as well.

Had to read this a few times already, but just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Since the inventory isn't an option in the custom ingredient name dropdown, you have to add the ingredient as non-custom then delete the custom ingredient entry?

I suppose we could have it match, but I see the custom ingredient in the recipe builder to be more of adding a new ingredient, and separate from inventory so I'd want to run that by @Yooper as well.

I think the Custom ingredient is legacy from a time when the Fermentable I used was not in Catalog so had to be added to my recipe as a custom one. That fermentable is now in my Inventory so I was wanting to re-assign it as such. It seems that, because it is a custom value, I am unable to see my Inventory to be able to select from it. It is not a big deal as such as I create an empty record above the Custom one, select from the Inventory there, then delete the Custom entry. Exactly as you say.

The awkward event is the automatic entry of the first item in Catalog overwriting the record if you try and back out of the edit. The upshot is that you have to carry on as you can't get the old value back.

I don't have that many recipes to visit and re-assign but some others may have considerably more. As it stands, if recipes are not re-assigned then, because of the different Fermentable, Hops and other names used will never be able to be compared with our inventories so that matches can be made - I refer to the Recipe Suggestion method that attempts to show what other peoples recipes can be made with what we have to hand which clearly doesn't function and never will. It will certainly never work either with our own recipes, if you ever get the chance to add that function in the future, if all the names are different due to the time lag caused by version updates. It is for that reason I am visiting all my recipes and refreshing the ingredients to match my inventory.

I go through a process of downloading the text version of each recipe and import its data into an excel spreadsheet and do all the comparison there. The sheet tells me what items are missing and highlights the recipes I can do without buying more stuff - this keeps the wife happy! There is quite a bit of VB code involved but it works quite well. Maybe I'll let others have a copy one day if anyone is interested - and I make it idiot proof eh.. flexible in use :).

I only brought the problem up to see if it was an easy fix but, looking at it again, it is not.

I think the Custom ingredient is legacy from a time when the Fermentable I used was not in Catalog so had to be added to my recipe as a custom one. That fermentable is now in my Inventory so I was wanting to re-assign it as such. It seems that, because it is a custom value, I am unable to see my Inventory to be able to select from it. It is not a big deal as such as I create an empty record above the Custom one, select from the Inventory there, then delete the Custom entry. Exactly as you say.

The awkward event is the automatic entry of the first item in Catalog overwriting the record if you try and back out of the edit. The upshot is that you have to carry on as you can't get the old value back.

Gotcha. I'll look into the entry overwriting, I suspect this is due to recent update that removed the necessity of clicking "add..." when choosing ingredients and escaping the dropdown selection so you don't have to mouseclick.

I don't have that many recipes to visit and re-assign but some others may have considerably more. As it stands, if recipes are not re-assigned then, because of the different Fermentable, Hops and other names used will never be able to be compared with our inventories so that matches can be made - I refer to the Recipe Suggestion method that attempts to show what other peoples recipes can be made with what we have to hand which clearly doesn't function and never will. It will certainly never work either with our own recipes, if you ever get the chance to add that function in the future, if all the names are different due to the time lag caused by version updates. It is for that reason I am visiting all my recipes and refreshing the ingredients to match my inventory.

I go through a process of downloading the text version of each recipe and import its data into an excel spreadsheet and do all the comparison there. The sheet tells me what items are missing and highlights the recipes I can do without buying more stuff - this keeps the wife happy! There is quite a bit of VB code involved but it works quite well. Maybe I'll let others have a copy one day if anyone is interested - and I make it idiot proof eh.. flexible in use :).

I only brought the problem up to see if it was an easy fix but, looking at it again, it is not.

This is on the agenda at some point actually. I had quite a few ideas on how we could improve the recipe suggestions feature and this is one of them, specifically focusing on what of MY recipes can I brew using the ingredients in inventory, with separate toggles for restricting the query to available fermentables, hops, yeast, or other. For example I don't really care what the yeast is in the recipe 90% of the time I'm going to use my house yeast (right now being Voss Kveik).

Back