A return to brewing...NEIPA?

NEIPA?

• Advise regarding yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suggestions for 1st NEIPA

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
I just throw them in. I have used a bag a couple of times but the hops are confined even when you weigh it down.

I’m interested to know peoples thoughts on whether to rack of into a secondary fermentor as I would usually do, or as I’ve seen elsewhere regarding NEIPAs, go straight to the keg from the primary fermentation.
Thanks for all the advise by the way.

I’m interested to know peoples thoughts on whether to rack of into a secondary fermentor as I would usually do, or as I’ve seen elsewhere regarding NEIPAs, go straight to the keg from the primary fermentation.
Mine go straight to the drain.

I go from primary straight to keg. I have never racked anything to a secondary to be honest.

Honestly, I'd think you'd want to drink your NEIPA as quickly as possible and to minimize O2 exposure. If those are the goals, racking to secondary is likely not the best of ideas.

Would agree with that. Rack it to keg, carbonate it, drink it ASAFP.

Echo above hops are a diminishing point of return get them in there while fermentation is happening transfer beer as little as possible and when transferring push with co2 not o2 into a preferably purged of o2 recieving vessel.
Then consume asap;).​

Well here it is, I thought at one point it was destined for the drain but for my 1st attempt I pleased.
0C566479-FEE9-4EF6-BF79-4D912D7B2DC6.jpeg

Well it sure looks like it is to style!
How does it taste, how is the aroma?
It certainly has the right body and feel in the mouth, and definitely hints of tropical fruit. There is some citrus aroma in the aroma ( I ended up mainly using Azecca and some Citra). The yeast I used was reported to take out some of esters and I think I will change the yeast next time and my brewing efficiency is still low so probably need to sort water chemistry ( more lactic acid).

Knowing what your efficiency is, is more important than having high efficiency. All that really matters is that it is consistent from batch to batch. Increasing your efficiency will only save you pennies on grains, not worth sweating a few points of efficiency

I agree, the only thing is I think they have changed the profile of the water in my area and I’m 10-15% off of where I used to be. Mind you, my kit is looking rather tired as well.

So ,are you thinking that mash pH affected your conversion?
I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on if that could be the case or not.

So ,are you thinking that mash pH affected your conversion?
I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on if that could be the case or not.
It would, but your mash pH would have to be extremely low or extremely high. I get the same thing - my tap water goes wonky in the summer. Sigh, curse, adjust the pH in the mash tun and go on. Or use RO water from the supermarket. Or save up and buy a RO filter. If I were looking to correct low efficiency, I'd look at a lot of factors before looking at the water.

So, you don't necessarily need to improve your efficiency, just know what it is, so that you get the results you are expecting. If you scale your efficiency down, the recipe editor will automatically increase your grain bill to suit. Improving efficiency isn't going to improve your beer.

Back