Sealed fermenter help

Hugues_Larouche

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am brewing an all grain IPA and everything went well with the mash and boil.
At the primary fermentation process someone mess with my beer and hermeticcaly sealed the fermenter.
The primary fermenter is just a plastic bucket that I place the led on it but not sealed.
Fortunately I arrived before the explosion (3 hour later) only to find the led inflated and ready to explode.
Now the fermentation process seems to be stoped. The started gravity was 1060 and is now at 1020.
It was supposed to go to 1010.
And also if I primed the beer with sugar will it wok or are the yeast dead, gone, done. !!

Thank you for your help and sorry if my english is not too good as I am french speajing.

Hi everyone,

At the primary fermentation process someone mess with my beer and hermeticcaly sealed the fermenter.
The primary fermenter is just a plastic bucket that I place the led on it but not sealed.
Fortunately I arrived before the explosion (3 hour later) only to find the led inflated and ready to explode.
Now the fermentation process seems to be stoped. The started gravity was 1060 and is now at 1020.
And also if I primed the beer with sugar will it wok or are the yeast dead, gone, done. !!

Thank you for your help and sorry if my english is not too good as I am french speajing.

I think it will be just fine. The yeast can live very well in the closed bucket. The only reason not to seal the ferment bucket is so it does NOT explode. I would not worry about the gravity yet either. Some yeast work fast until around 1.020 or so, then take another week to 10 days to get down to 1.01 range.

Give it some more time. I think the only thing that happened is you found the bucket before it exploded. the beer will be fine and you do not have to clean up a mess. :)

Oh. And do not worry about when you bottle. There will be lots of yeast left.

Hi everyone,

Howdy Hugues --
Welcome to Brewers Friend. As you said your Brew bucket was sealed but originally loose, I wondered if you had used an Air Check to allow the CO2 to escape & preventing air from entering the Fermentor, while relieving the pressure from CO2 buildup.
Are these guys available where you live? By the way, Quebec or France or some other French Speaking part of the world?
Here are a couple of links to mail order sources:
https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Bubble-...ocphy=9028715&hvtargid=pla-384129294913&psc=1

https://www.medical-and-lab-supplie...3YR1umKpWMarTIrZhGw-Vz6JDu5uaPWBoCVv0QAvD_BwE

Welcome to Brewers Friend!

Back