Spruce Tips

^Tony^

Premium Member
Reaction score
I love spruce/pine flavored IPA's. I wanted to see what actual spruce tips might do but there is little in the way of recipes for one. The recipes I have found recommend between 4oz and 16oz of spruce tips (can be freeze dried and frozen variety.)

I do BIAB/all grain and ferment about 6 gallons at a time. Has anyone ever done a brew using real spruce tips (not the extract)? Any tips (no pun intended) for me?

I love spruce/pine flavored IPA's. I wanted to see what actual spruce tips might do but there is little in the way of recipes for one. The recipes I have found recommend between 4oz and 16oz of spruce tips (can be freeze dried and frozen variety.)

I do BIAB/all grain and ferment about 6 gallons at a time. Has anyone ever done a brew using real spruce tips (not the extract)? Any tips (no pun intended) for me?
Dr hans made one recently on his Blog

It was several years ago I brewed one but was not really impressed. Just was kinda like a tree in your beer. I think more of a novelty than anything. They say use just the soft tips if used fresh. Remember there are several different types of spruce. Each may be different. I tried blue spruce and black hills spruce. The black hills have a very spicy aroma but it didn't come out as a late addition for me. Blue spruce was just kinda pitchy flavored. Give it a shot, you may have better luck than me!

It was several years ago I brewed one but was not really impressed. Just was kinda like a tree in your beer. I think more of a novelty than anything. They say use just the soft tips if used fresh. Remember there are several different types of spruce. Each may be different. I tried blue spruce and black hills spruce. The black hills have a very spicy aroma but it didn't come out as a late addition for me. Blue spruce was just kinda pitchy flavored. Give it a shot, you may have better luck than me!

I've been wanting to do this using my blue spruce but was always afraid that I would end up with results similar to yours. I think I will just stick with piney hops. You could also experiment with a tincture using vodka...

That's fabulous! I think I may even try his recipe. Thanks Trialben!
He does some Crazy S@#t! Made that beer with his home grown hops.
Just excuse the brew adds he's recently become part owner in a Swedish HB store and has let this influence his brew videos but still put out some good content that gets you thinking.

Back