Brew day tomorrow

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is my plan for tomorrow. Thoughts? It’s a 1.5 gallon batch. I’d kind of like to go lower on OG for this but wasn’t sure how low to go with Kveik. Any Input would be awesome
F5997220-EB4E-44BD-BDE5-AB36298D850C.png

Here's my .02... For less than 2 gallons of beer, and according to your cost analysis, less than $6 I would shoot for a lower gravity and see how it goes. For that small of a batch I'm sure you'll use a tsp max of kveik. So you should have leftovers and you'll have more yeast after fermentation. If you are that concerned then try adding some yeast nutrient, and keeping it nice and warm 90f + fermentation temp. You can also try mashing longer to ensure more fermentables. Try it where you really want it and then you'll at least have a low baseline.
Are you using the Lallemand Voss dried strain? If so I can tell you it loves heat and will chow down.

Yes Lallemand Voss dried. I done 4 batches with it and it is a hungry beast lol. I usually pitch at 90-95 and with my warmer it settles around 86 after high Krausen

Oats (maybe as much as your wheat) and calcium chloride can help the mouthfeel if you're lowering the gravity and trying to keep it dry. The calcium chloride would be pretty small though, probably only a gram or two depending on your starting water.

Oats (maybe as much as your wheat) and calcium chloride can help the mouthfeel if you're lowering the gravity and trying to keep it dry. The calcium chloride would be pretty small though, probably only a gram or two depending on your starting water.
I was more concerned with Kveik and low OF Kept it at 1.050 so I wouldn’t have to worry

I was more concerned with Kveik and low OF Kept it at 1.050 so I wouldn’t have to worry
I've gone lower gravity with kveik. I don't think you should be overly concerned. Here's a snip of a lower gravity brew I did a few months back with opshaug kveik. 1.046
Screenshot_20200623-165051.png

I think I mentioned this before in another thread, but I used VOSS in a 1041 OG beer, it was one of my best brews to date. I also harvested and pitched that yeast in 2 subsequent batches, and it performed admirably. I don't have any scientific reason to say that there is no issue pitching VOSS in a low OG beer, just my experience.

Good brew day. Fermenter going nuts.
Craigerr did you use nutrients?

Not Voss but:

Just checked latest batch I brewed on Saturday SG was 1.040 it's sitting at 1.008 today %80 attenuation par for the course with this 5th gen Hornindal run.
Hope that might put your mind at ease.

I wouldn't worry about the low OG. It's not going to hurt anything.

Back