Wyeast 1098

Brewer #253491

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I pitched a 1.2l starter of Wyeast 1098 with roughly 250 billion yeast cells in to a 1.051 OG IPA two days ago. Wort temp is a constant 19 degrees c and the krausen appeared within 4 hours of pitching.

I have just opened up the fridge to find the krausen has dropped and airlock activity has slowed.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal for 1098 at this stage as this is my first time using it?

I haven't taken a gravity reading yet but shall in a few days.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like it took off right away - Good!
Sounds like it developed a nice healthy krausen - Good!

Even though it may seem that it is done, I think you should leave it be for at least another week. I am not sure if I have used that particular British Ale strain before, but I have used British Ale yeasts. They need a full 2 weeks to accomplish all of their tasks.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but there is no point in taking a sample right now. The best thing to do is forget that it is there, and take a sample in about another week and a half.

Hope this helps

Wouldn't surprise me. I've never used 1098 but it sounds like it took right off.

Even though it may seem that it is done, I think you should leave it be for at least another week. I am not sure if I have used that particular British Ale strain before, but I have used British Ale yeasts. They need a full 2 weeks to accomplish all of their tasks.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but there is no point in taking a sample right now. The best thing to do is forget that it is there, and take a sample in about another week and a half.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I pitched a 1.2l starter of Wyeast 1098 with roughly 250 billion yeast cells in to a 1.051 OG IPA two days ago. Wort temp is a constant 19 degrees c and the krausen appeared within 4 hours of pitching.

I have just opened up the fridge to find the krausen has dropped and airlock activity has slowed.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal for 1098 at this stage as this is my first time using it?

I haven't taken a gravity reading yet but shall in a

Hope this helps
Thanks for the advise, i shall leave it alone.

Yeah just be patient and forget about it for a weeke or two.

It would not surprise me to see it done in 2 days. A four lag time is super short, I’ll bet it smoked right through it. English yeast are famous for fast fermenting. I under pitched a IPA with s04 and was drinking it 8 days from boil just last week. Let it set if you like, but a gravity reading could shed light on what has happened. A stalled fermentation would show a high gravity, but a gravity of 1.012-1.014 would tell you it’s done. Drink up.

Evening,

I wanted to say thanks for the advise and give you a final update. It finished on 1.012 and took the full 14 days like Craigerrr and Hawkbox advised. Its been in the keg at 12 psi for a week and a its carbed up nicely but still needs a little more time to condition. Will try it again in a week. Overall happy with the yeasts performance.
Thanks again for the advise.

Sounds like it is going to be a nice beer. Congrats!

Thanks for the update!
How does it taste?

Back