Weird PH differential?

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm poking around with BF and Bru'nWater to try and get a handle on water and I'm messing around with a Schwarzbier and the PH from the base grain load is 5.25 in BW and 4.4 in BF. I'm at a bit of a loss why there is such a significant difference. Anyone messed with this before?

I'm poking around with BF and Bru'nWater to try and get a handle on water and I'm messing around with a Schwarzbier and the PH from the base grain load is 5.25 in BW and 4.4 in BF. I'm at a bit of a loss why there is such a significant difference. Anyone messed with this before?

What are the grain bill, mineral additions, source water, and acid additions? I know a thing or two about pH estimation so I’m sure I can help troubleshoot.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1003244/schwarzbier

The only meaningful difference I can see between them is a significant PH difference.

upload_2020-5-29_17-15-30.png

That's weird, I don't know how it got that in the strike water. I've corrected it but the PH didn't change. I expect there probably is a calculation difference but such a wide range has me rather concerned.

Weird, I removed the .3kg of chocolate malt and the recipe jumped to 5.53PH, then I added it back in and the PH went to 5.46 which is well within my personal error bars for these calculations.

Back