dryhopped sediment after bottling

7 Gal Home Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
hi, after 14 days of fermentation i just bottled a dry hopped neipa from primary bucket, and the last bottles that had much of the hops at the bottom, about 6 pieces, has something like a restarted (?) fermentation at the top of the bottles. is it because the priming sugar reacted with the yeast and the hops? im sure its not infection as only the last ones has this. im afraid of a bottle bombs, should i or its normal and will settle down by time and in the cold later? attached the pics of these bottles - the rest seems totally normal
thanks!

Attachments

• received_237352817360663.jpeg
    received_237352817360663.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 68
  • received_287749062224879.jpeg
    received_287749062224879.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 84
If the FG was stable over at least 3 days before you bottled it should be ok. Did you prime with just sugar or similar or did you pitch additional yeast? If it is just in the last few bottles you filled and not in the first ones it is likely just sediment. Although, sediment is usually on the BOTTOM of the bottle...that does look suspiciously like krausen and secondary fermentation... I have never seem that before. Do you see any movement within the bottle that may indicate active fermentation?

Have you cracked one open to taste it? Best case, you open one and its fine and you get to sample early. Worst case...bottle bombs and a really bad day. Maybe someone with more experience can be more helpful. If it was me I'd be super careful handling those bottles and immediately open one to check for high pressure and secondary fermentation. You may want to open it outside just in case is sprays out from high pressure.

If I do a heavy dry hop it is super hard to bottle without sucking up some hops floating about as you get to the bottom of the bucket. When bottling IPA's that have had a heavy dry hop and I always get some sediment...at the bottom of the bottle.

Could be this "hop Creap" phenomenon going on. People report refermentation after large dry hop additions but I'm guessing you would have bottled days after last DH.

Looks like a krausen to me in that bottle maybe it got a larger charge of priming sugar than the rest?

As above as long as gravity was stable I'd let the bottles sit for a week or two and carry on as per usual.

Did you bottle and dry hop the same day?

the OG was 1.07 so i pitched 1.5 packs of S04 for 5 gals. the FG was already 1.016 after 5 days, then i only measured it 2 and 1 day before bottling and was 1.014 both times (also i tasted the sample then, and was all good) - i know, maybe i should have waited for 1 or 2 more days but as for my calculation the S04 performed 79% attenuation which i think its above normal and i reached the final FG

i also suspect its like a krausen, but since its only in the last bottles, somehow i thought it may be connected to the heavy hops sediment from the bottom of the bucket

i dry hopped for 8 days then took out and put another for 4 days - the second portion remained till bottling

ill try opening one to check pressure.. and pray.. :)

Could be this "hop Creap" phenomenon going on. People report refermentation after large dry hop additions but I'm guessing you would have bottled days after last DH.

Looks like a krausen to me in that bottle maybe it got a larger charge of priming sugar than the rest?

As above as long as gravity was stable I'd let the bottles sit for a week or two and carry on as per usual.
This is the most likely answer. Hop creep is when a lot of hops are used for dry hopping. The hops naturally contain amylase enzymes. The enzymes continue to covert starches as you age it, which the remaining yeast consumes, especially at room temperatures. It creates over carbonated beer and even bottle bombs. This is a secondary fermentation that a lot of brewers deal with, both pro and home brewers. I’ve seen it, but it’s mitigated by kegging and dropping the temperature. I had secondary fermentation’s on mostly Citra and Mosiac hops. Some yeast strains seem to be more prone to it and I have no clue why.
Surly brewing makes a really good pale ale called Xtra Citra, it is almost always is a little wild, foaming out of the can as soon as it’s opened. The beer is still good, really good.

FWIW I would not have bottled quite to fast. The yeasties may not have been done after 7 days and 1.014 seems like a high FG for S-04. My experience with it is it slows WAY down once it gets to the 1.015 area for an lower grav brew. And that is a big beer - your specs make it about 7.35% - The S-04 is not recommended for more than about 6.5% so it may have stalled out then taken off again after getting the priming sugar and bottling.

I can easily get brews that start around 1.055 down to 1.010 with S-04 in a couple of easy weeks but I have never tried S-04 for that big of a brew. I would have used 1388 or something more alcohol tolerant instead.

I once forgot to mix every few litres while bottling and had some uneven conditioning in batches. Some over carb, some under. The primer could have settled in the bucket and now the last few bottles have the secondary fermentation because of the extra primer.

I think the fermentation was close to finishing at 1.014, but I'd be real real careful handling those bottles all the same...just in case.

Let me know how the pressure check goes! :D

I once forgot to mix every few litres while bottling and had some uneven conditioning in batches. Some over carb, some under. The primer could have settled in the bucket and now the last few bottles have the secondary fermentation because of the extra primer.

at least im sure all bottles got the same amout of sugar as i put manually with the measuring scoop in each

so probably, according to all the replies, i mixed two problems at once: hop creep and active yeast :/

;) It's the fun part of learning!

Let me know how the pressure check goes! :D

meanwhile the krausen dissapeared except in the most messy one, so opened that, it was gushing well but not extremely and immediately like a bomb. now we cool it all down from 20 celsius to about 9 (afraid to put in fridge but its cool outside now) and later check a normal bottle not from the end
if its overcarbonated we may try the recap solution i was reading about

okay false alert, only the last bottles may have overfoaming
checked one from the middle and its not even fully carbonated yet

Back