A Home Brewbie

^Tony^

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good day! Gotta say, I love this site. Lots of good feedback and insight. Friendly people and well run. I have not yet seen anyone speak harshly or nasty to anyone else yet and hope i never will!

I am a brewbie from Western Canada. I started brewing after sitting at a backyard BBQ, griping with a great fellow brew fan and even better friend about how hard it was to find some craft brews I'd never tried before. I figured then and there to just start making my own! That was 3 years and a crap ton of brewing ago. I've read just about everything brew related I can get my hands on and more. Now, after more than a few disasters and a few more kick a$$ brews here I am.

If anyone has any great resource reading (besides Palmer :D) they found useful please let me know!

Great to meet you!

Currently rereading: Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew. Solid book in my opinion. Pretty in depth but also covers a lot of the early fundamentals that new brewers are looking for. I like referencing it for malt profiles and hop profiles.

Also, LOVING - The Secrets of Master Brewers by Jeff Alworth - wicked cool book.

I enjoy Zymurgy and Craft Beer and Brewing magazines.

I've been reading Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, and it is nerd-tastic. Also, I reread my old Craft Beer and Brewing magazines occasionally. They never stop being informative. If you subscribe, don't let them go, hang on to them.... it's not hoarding if you're still reading them.

Designing Great Beers is a good read for sure! My wife got me Craft Beer and Brewing but I did not renew it. A bit heavy on craft beer that I couldn't taste and not enough about brewing - for me anyway... I do love my BYO subscription though! I use the website regularly too!

Welcome!
I am re-reading John Palmer's book, but you already got that one :)

@Trialben I love the brulosophy site! So many good "experiments"! I will have to check out Braukaiser.

@^Tony^ I forgot to mention my favorite read! Homebrew: Beyond the Basics (all grain and other next steps). By Mike Karnowski.
It is my #1 reference book. It is great for any brewer diving headfirst into all grain or even just curious about it. Gorgeous photos, cool brewing techniques to try and tons of info presented in just enough depth to keep you turning pages!
This is my #1 book recommendation.

Currently rereading: Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew. Solid book in my opinion. Pretty in depth but also covers a lot of the early fundamentals that new brewers are looking for. I like referencing it for malt profiles and hop profiles.

Also, LOVING - The Secrets of Master Brewers by Jeff Alworth - wicked cool book.
Nice. I have not read that one...Amazon here i come!

I enjoy Zymurgy and Craft Beer and Brewing magazines.
Love the brewing magazines. I have Craft Beer and Brewing. I read it for the recipes okay! :oops::p But I won't get a subscription. Besides some equipment reviews and a few recipes it is not quite what I am looking for. I have never read Designing Great Beers. I think I shall get that one too!

@Trialben I love the brulosophy site! So many good "experiments"! I will have to check out Braukaiser.

@^Tony^ I forgot to mention my favorite read! Homebrew: Beyond the Basics (all grain and other next steps). By Mike Karnowski.
It is my #1 reference book. It is great for any brewer diving headfirst into all grain or even just curious about it. Gorgeous photos, cool brewing techniques to try and tons of info presented in just enough depth to keep you turning pages!
This is my #1 book recommendation.
I have that one. Its a good one for sure!

Welcome to the forums. I just jumped into home brewing myself so I am still reading How To Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time by John J. Palmer. My list of books to read is growing faster than I expected, especially after the list provided here.

Welcome to the forums. I just jumped into home brewing myself so I am still reading How To Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time by John J. Palmer. My list of books to read is growing faster than I expected, especially after the list provided here.
That's a pretty weighty tome to start with (I just finished rereading it). There are hundreds out there and, like most things in the brewing world, if you want three ways to do something, ask two brewers. Read, ask a lot of questions (some of us have tried the three things two brewers told us to do) and remember, your process and equipment are likely unique. Your taste definitely is. Ask - I've never seen anyone here throw the "noob" card or try to confuse. Most of the advice is even good!

I have JP's book too, but I will admit to mostly using it as a reference. I got the complete joy of homebrewing book for christmas (pretty antiquated information IMO). Most of my learning has been from the good folks here, and watching videos on YT.

I got the complete joy of homebrewing book for christmas (pretty antiquated information IMO
Funny, I just pulled mine out 2 nights ago and started digging in... I came to the exact same conclusion. I figured I might give it to a guy at work that I hear just started brewing extract kits. That way he could read if curious or at least reference/use some of the recipes.

That's a pretty weighty tome to start with (I just finished rereading it).
I agree. - Then again, it was what I started with... I honestly wish I had read a few other books first.

Back