Patio, or Deck?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I built my deck about 5 years ago, it is 24' wide, and between 15 and 17 deep. Built two all steel gazebos on Saturday, took my son and I about 9 hours. My entire body aches now...
20200405_170454.jpg

20200405_183827.jpg

Building the deck so low to the ground was a real challenge. It is built on 11 piers 50" deep. There are four beams, each beam is two 2x8's . The joists are 2x6's. Code is truly 2x10 beams, and 2x8 joists, but then I wouldn't have been able to open the back door!

I built my deck about 5 years ago, it is 24' wide, and between 15 and 17 deep. Built two all steel gazebos on Saturday, took my son and I about 9 hours. My entire body aches now...
View attachment 9373
View attachment 9374
Its a bit of both really.
Gee you dont muck around there Craigerr looks beautiful. I like that open top design to let the hot air up and out in summer.

Nice job Craig. Green grass this time of year looks strange in the frozen North. We've had a very mild winter here and I just turned on the sprinkler/irrigation system.

Mines covered in snow and slowly rotting out, need to address it at some time, but probably not until everything blows over.

For your use though, some good videos on keeping your deck dry.

I'm going to skin mine with new 5/4 wood then rebuild the railings and possibly a pergola

If mine was in better shape I probably would, might still eventually but the previous owners built it with untreated wood and put a hot tub beside it. So I need to get it healthy before I do anything with it. Some of the boards are so rotten they wouldn't hold a screw.

Ours is out of Trex. Aside for one railing needing shoring up, good as new. A bit small, though.

Ours is out of Trex. Aside for one railing needing shoring up, good as new. A bit small, though.
Mine is low to the ground I have no rails.

Post em up, lets see em!
I should have named the thread show us your Patio or Deck... or Pool I guess

Mine doesn't require rails, but it's still got 18" of snow on it so I can't do much with it.

Time for a coat of stain on mine...more rain and record setting lows for May is putting that off for a couple more weeks. We've got freeze warnings called for the next couple of days...so much for Mother's Day plantings too!.

Oh yeah...I've got railing...without it that first step would be a doozey!

20190602_130023.jpeg

Last edited:

Back