iodine solution vs. other sanitation methods

BrewPatgonia

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
As I am in Chile and Starsan and PBW isn't easily available, or economically sound to purchase.
I am wondering if anyone uses iodine solution and your way to use it in sanitizing the equipment.
I use 30 ltr sanke kegs and also bottle a lot of my brews. I also use the sanke kegs as a way to transfer from the fermenter to the bottles, using CO2 as the force to transfer the beers. I clean the kegs using caustic solution, but no spray methods... just fill the kegs with caustic solution and soak, shake, soak, shake, etc..... then I drain the solution and prepare a solution of 12.5 ppm or slightly greater iodine solution as a no rinse, rinsing solution for the kegs. This has worked out fine, other than sometimes I end up having to dump a keg due to an infection (slightly sour taste to the beer... which appears 5 to 6 weeks after tapping the keg). The first few weeks, the beers from the keg are great.... then later develop a sourness which increases until I dump it. I don't know for sure if it is residuals left in the keg which I can't clean out due to limited cleaning ability.... or if it may be additions of small amounts of oxygen... when I connect the CO2 line to the keg tap.... I had not been purging the small line with CO2 prior to connecting to the keg... and the small amounts of air in the 1/4" line entering the keg may have soured the beer... after several times of disconnecting and reconnecting.... ?

I do not have other real options available for sanitizing, but any help concerning the cleaning of sanke type kegs for a homebrewer would be appreciated. I do not have access to other types of kegs (which may be easier to clean.)
I bottle because it is easier to share my beers with family.... but I do like to keg some, to have available for home gatherings and bar'b'ques (It is common here to have family and friends over to 'parillar' (bbq)).
I plan to improve the cleaning process of the kegs this year, to plan hopefully that after the COVID-19 passes, we can continue grilling and enjoying beers together, from the kegs.

Any input from others as to how to clean sanke kegs and sanitize using iodine would be greatly appreciated.... I do understand that I am in the minority (iodine user). thanks.

Does you local food store sell baby nappy cleaner in Aus it's called Nappy San or Oxy Clean comes in bright pink containers.
It's at least 36% sodium percarbonate the rest is surfactants and foaming agents and stuff I don't know about.

This isn't PBW but not far off and heaps cheap I've used it for years.
I'd order some %100 sodium perc though it and PBW as there are different compounds in there that removes the hop resins better.

Clean first Hot or soak overnight , hot rinse - sanitize second before use;).

You can use iodine, there's a commercial product called Iodophor if you can get it. I don't know a good dilution but can tell you, be sure to rinse anything you use it on and it can stain plastic.

That is more or less what I use, here it is called Yodigen, but same thing as Iodophor... it is used in the milk industry for sanitation.. I haven't found anyone else that uses it; however, I have 25 liters of it and have been using it religiously on everything.
you are correct.. it does stain everything, plastic and hoses, but it is very effective.
It has been being used a lot lately.... we use it in spray bottles to spray everything coming to the house... since the outbreak of COVID.
I do use it in my sanke kegs after cleaning with caustic... but since the opening is so small, and I haven't invested in a spiral ball to rig up a spray nozzle.... I can't verify the cleanliness of the interiors of my kegs.... and I've had three so far that i've dumped due to becoming sour after a few weeks after being tapped.... that is why I am not sure if it is from tapping the kegs... or from initial cleaning. The Iodine solution helps a lot but if the interior of the keg doesn't get clean.. I can't know yet. I do inspect the interiors, using a boroscope, but can't be sure if I am missing anything.
Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them.

Would chlorine work for cleaning? And then maybe a campden tablet to het rid of the chlorine again?
Just wondering.....
I can't get a lot of ingrefients but I managed to get starsan via South Africa

What are they called CIP ball pity you can't rig up a pump type system where you can invert the keg over bucket filled with your caustic and run it for let's say 15 minutes then repeat with hot water.
Then your iodorphor...?

Would chlorine work for cleaning? And then maybe a campden tablet to het rid of the chlorine again?
Just wondering.....
I can't get a lot of ingrefients but I managed to get starsan via South Africa
Chlorine works as well, just be sure to rinse everything well with clean water. I wouldn't worry about the campden tab to get rid of the chlorine - if you don't let it dry, it rinses easily and it is actually very effective as a sanitizer! Bleach is also fairly alkaline so it cleans as well.

yep, that's it... the CIP ball; I couldn't remember the name for them... I do have plans to acquire one this year... keeping my eyes open to availability.. and doing exactly as you stated... invert keg etc.....

the chlorine idea is good as well... I do use it in my preliminary cleanings. One thing to keep in mind with chlorine (bleach) is that it actually attacks stainless steel harshly. I use it very well diluted for that reason and always minimize contact time with SS.
I witnessed the chlorine vs SS initially years ago at an energy facility; it surprised me then and after looking into it.. it became obvious those should not have contact. just a point to share since many of us think SS is very resistant and durable.

also... never heard of 'baby nappy cleaner'... and never look in the infant section of food stores... I will start looking for it later on, when I actually start visiting stores again ;)

also... never heard of 'baby nappy cleaner'... and never look in the infant section of food stores... I will start looking for it later on, when I actually start visiting stores again ;)
Ha ha well my friend you gotta have options
20200509_073941.jpg
This is the one in Aus doesn't matter what brand as long as it's unsented as in no lemon lavender sent ect ECT look on the label for the active ingredient like this.
20200509_074009.jpg

So not %100 but I sware it works great for cleaning kegs fermentors ect ECT.
But I try and keep it for kegs and use PBW for fermentor and beer lines as it's got better cleaning abilities.

if you want to up the cleaning ability of you nappy san above I found thanks to Gash Slug here in Aus at the hardware store they sell this stuff called "Tricleanium" it's %100 alkaline salts add a teaspoon or two per scoup with your store bought cleaner to boost it up a bit.
20200509_074508.jpg

Last edited:
I also use unscented oxiclean, it is a great cleaner, but you still need to sanitize after that.

thanks all, a lot of ideas.. I'll search around for 'sodium percarbonate' .... there is a chemical supplier in Santiago, I'll call them to see if they carry anything like this. I will also search more in the markets locally as well.
I will probably purchase a CIP this year.
I am currently bottling, but once we can have friends over again... as well as when summer begins in 8 months, I'll start kegging again. gives me some time to get the kegs cleaner; I've got about 16 kegs, 3 that need emptying (near empty) and cleaning. I storage them with filtered water and a lower concentration of Iodophor (yodigen), under CO2 when not in use.

I have used white vinegar in varying concentrations for the actual scrubbing by hand kind of cleaning, depending on what I am cleaning and the size of the job. Cheap, easy to find, and fairly harmless to people and animals. I don't soak my stainless with vinegar, only clean then rinse. I use Unscented OxyClean to soak things over night then rinse it with vinegar/water. I only use StarSan for the final brew day rinse right before use for the fermenter or bottles.

Vinegar seems to be very effective so far and rinses away easily. After a good rinse with plain water any residue is safe and the residual acidity is generally neutralized by water or wort.

Do you have any way to use steam or boiling water in the kegs?

I remember quite awhile ago I was struggling with infections in my plastic brew bucket and @HighVoltageMan! Put me onto a Bleach / vinegar cleaning solution that helped fight whatever diastaticus bug I recon I got from memory it was 1:1 either 1/2 cup bleach and 1/2 cup vinigar/ 20lt ish warm water.

CAUTION make sure you've filled fermentor most way up with water before adding both!
Don't mix the chlorine and vinegar in the bucket then fill your nostrils will thank you for it.
It makes a nasty gas

Caution 2 I wouldn't use this for cleaning stainless kegs :cool:

I remember quite awhile ago I was struggling with infections in my plastic brew bucket and @HighVoltageMan! Put me onto a Bleach / vinegar cleaning solution that helped fight whatever diastaticus bug I recon I got from memory it was 1:1 either 1/2 cup bleach and 1/2 cup vinigar/ 20lt ish warm water.

CAUTION make sure you've filled fermentor most way up with water before adding both!
Don't mix the chlorine and vinegar in the bucket then fill your nostrils will thank you for it.
It makes a nasty gas

Caution 2 I wouldn't use this for cleaning stainless kegs :cool:
I think the combo of the 2 makes Chlorine gas...no wonder it killed all the nasties!! :D

Back