First Post and Question

Old_P

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just finding my way around at the moment and have a question which may have already been asked, so apologies if that is the case.

How long can I store whole grains in vacuum packets and/or how can I tell if they are still usable?

I know storage times are subjective so I guess I’m more interested in how can I tell if they are still okay to use.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Many greetings from Bavaria

Welcome Old P.
it's a little like asking a brewer how long is a piece of string. Vacume sealed I'd recon should easily store for a year of more.
Opened and left to the air humidity ect ECT will shorten it's shelf life I'm guessing like stale bread.
I know from memory Brulosophy has done exbeeriments on same batch one using fresh ingreedience and the other year old grain and it wasn't a significant difference amongst tasters.

I have grains that I keep in containers, not vaccuum sealed, in my basement, usually around 13-14c, and they have stayed dried and fresh for over a year now. If you keep them cool and dry they should last longer than mine even.
I have 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids and keep the grains in their orginal package - I just close the bag down tight after using some.

Prost!

Hi Everyone,
Just finding my way around at the moment and have a question which may have already been asked, so apologies if that is the case.

How long can I store whole grains in vacuum packets and/or how can I tell if they are still usable?

I know storage times are subjective so I guess I’m more interested in how can I tell if they are still okay to use.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Many greetings from Bavaria
If your storage area is dry, you can store them indefinitely. As in years. Herzlich Wilkommen ins Forum.

you can test your grain by just chewing it, also as you store the grain it dries out so just spray some water and seal it back up before brewday, as long as there is no mold or mildew or its rock hard its fine

Welcome Old P, from Old C

I have grains that I keep in containers, not vaccuum sealed, in my basement, usually around 13-14c, and they have stayed dried and fresh for over a year now. If you keep them cool and dry they should last longer than mine even.
I have 5 gallon buckets with Gamma lids and keep the grains in their orginal package - I just close the bag down tight after using some.

Prost!
Yes I store mine the same, Gamma lids and some are well over one close to two years old and still taste good when eaten.

A big thank you to everyone for your helpful replies and warm welcome.

I keep my grain in the basement, which is dry and cool so what has been mentioned is very helpful.

Back