Real active fermentation

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Question about active fermentation. My second solo brew. My carboy and air lock have been going nuts. I brewed Thursday evening and it’s still going strong. Last night I had to take out the air lock and clean/re-save itinerary since it was full of beer. Today it’s full again. What do I do? I should have done a blow off tube when I put it in the fermenter. Do I need to do that now or it my serious action almost over. It’s only a 1 gallon batch. On a side note the beer I cleaned out smelled like good hoppy beer lol

Either swap out the airlock with a blow off tube, or have a spare air lock ready to swap out when it gets messy.
Sounds like fermentation will likely settle down soon.
How much head space did you have in the fermenter?

This is why I always start fermentation with blow off tubes instead of air locks. After things calm down, then I switch out the blow off tubes for air locks. My fermentations of 1.5 gallons are evenly divided between 2 one gallon glass carboys, which provides ample head space.

Yes I go blowoff first as well.

Butch April6-2018 (11).jpg

I had this happen a long time ago, like two years or so.
IMG_20180818_0828098.jpg

IMG_20180818_1016186.jpg

I was pushing the envelope to maximize batch size, was trying to get 6 gallons...

This is why I always start fermentation with blow off tubes instead of air locks. After things calm down, then I switch out the blow off tubes for air locks. My fermentations of 1.5 gallons are evenly divided between 2 one gallon glass carboys, which provides ample head space.
I should seriously start doing the same thing! It never matters in my Fast Fermenters as there is a ton of headspace but my other fermenter often needs a blowoff tube!

Back