Table Salt

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why the only "salt" that I can find in the other ingredients list is "Table Salt"?
I know not to use it, I use pickling salt, but it just feels a little weird having it in my recipes.

"Salt" is everything we modify water with. "Sodium Chloride" is accurate but not everyone knows what it is. There is table salt, sea salt, pickling salt, Himalayan pink salt.... I think table salt pretty much sums it up (and the tiny amount of iodine you'd be adding to a beer by using it would likely not hurt a thing).

I have been trying to get us to change the names of the salts in our list.
Table salt, pickling salt, sea salt, etc- all are NaCl, sodium chloride.
I'd like our list to say something like:
Gypsum (CaSO4)
Calcium chloride (CaCl2)- dihydrate
Calcium chloride (CaCl2)- Anhydrous
Sodium chloride (CaCl), table salt (all forms)
Baking Soda (NaHCO3)
etc

I use the chemical names most often, for cases like this where we are talking about a salt.

"Salt" is everything we modify water with. "Sodium Chloride" is accurate but not everyone knows what it is. There is table salt, sea salt, pickling salt, Himalayan pink salt.... I think table salt pretty much sums it up (and the tiny amount of iodine you'd be adding to a beer by using it would likely not hurt a thing).
Thanks Nosy, I am aware that salts refer to the various water additions we make.
I use pickling salt myself, but just enter it in my recipe as "Table Salt".
My understanding is that it is best to avoid using iodized salt, so it just seems odd to me that the only actual types of salts I find in the ingredient list are Epsom and Table.

I have been trying to get us to change the names of the salts in our list.
Table salt, pickling salt, sea salt, etc- all are NaCl, sodium chloride.
I'd like our list to say something like:
Gypsum (CaSO4)
Calcium chloride (CaCl2)- dihydrate
Calcium chloride (CaCl2)- Anhydrous
Sodium chloride (CaCl), table salt (all forms)
Baking Soda (NaHCO3)
etc

I use the chemical names most often, for cases like this where we are talking about a salt.
I second.... Iodized salt contains 45 micrograms per gram of salt so using it at any reasonable rate in beer would result in parts per billion of iodine. Not harmful, although likely used as an "explanation" for fermentation failures in some early homebrews so was adopted as beer lore. Still, in my beers and sourdough breads, I use a simple, cheap white sea salt.

I second.... Iodized salt contains 45 micrograms per gram of salt so using it at any reasonable rate in beer would result in parts per billion of iodine. Not harmful, although likely used as an "explanation" for fermentation failures in some early homebrews so was adopted as beer lore. Still, in my beers and sourdough breads, I use a simple, cheap white sea salt.
Thanks

To further quantify the effect; here in New Zealand iodised salt is typically 50mg/kg iodine. Usually potassium iodate is used, so that corresponds to 78mg/kg KIO3. Chiswick (London) water is relatively rich in sodium at 30ppm. If that is all provided by sodium chloride it equates to 2 grams in 33.5 litre of water. That results in a 0.02 micro-molar solution of potatassium iodate.

This study suggest that something of the order of a 40 micro-molar solution is required to affect the growth rate of sac cerevisiae beyond 24 hours into fermentation.

To further quantify the effect; here in New Zealand iodised salt is typically 50mg/kg iodine. Usually potassium iodate is used, so that corresponds to 78mg/kg KIO3. Chiswick (London) water is relatively rich in sodium at 30ppm. If that is all provided by sodium chloride it equates to 2 grams in 33.5 litre of water. That results in a 0.02 micro-molar solution of potatassium iodate.

This study suggest that something of the order of a 40 micro-molar solution is required to affect the growth rate of sac cerevisiae beyond 24 hours into fermentation.
Thanks for doing the math.

I use sea salt but only for a malty beer and mostly just a small amount like 4 grams per 12 gallon batch, it goes a long way

I gotta admit I don't add any sodium chloride to my beers just the two main salts sulphate and chloride I've experimented with a beer or talk but didn't notice any big difference.

I gotta admit I don't add any sodium chloride to my beers just the two main salts sulphate and chloride I've experimented with a beer or talk but didn't notice any big difference.
Are you using RO water Ben?

Back