Partly Cloudy NEPIA-ISH IPA

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/982496/partly-cloudy-ipa

I need to add the dry hop schedule, but what do you think thus far.

Hop Information

Sabro™ brand HBC 438 was developed by the Hop Breeding Company and released in 2018. Sabro is an aroma hop that is notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors. It imparts distinct tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, and stone fruit aromas, with hints of cedar, mint, and cream. Sabro’s pedigree is the result of a unique cross pollination of a female neomexicanus hop. With a robust brewing performance, Sabro proves to be a strongly expressive hop that translates its flavor incredibly well into beer.

Pedigree: Neomexicanus Female
Aroma: Fruity, citrus, coconut
Alpha Acids* 12.0 – 16.0%
Beta Acids: 4.0 – 7.0 %
Cohumulone: 20 - 24 % of alpha acids

Total Oil: 2.5 – 3.5 ml/100g
Myrcene: 51 - 68 % of total oil
Humulene: 7 - 14 % of total oil
Caryophyllene: 7 - 11 % of total oil
Farnesene: < 1 % of total o

Thanks

T

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/982496/partly-cloudy-ipa

I need to add the dry hop schedule, but what do you think thus far.

Hop Information

Sabro™ brand HBC 438 was developed by the Hop Breeding Company and released in 2018. Sabro is an aroma hop that is notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors. It imparts distinct tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, and stone fruit aromas, with hints of cedar, mint, and cream. Sabro’s pedigree is the result of a unique cross pollination of a female neomexicanus hop. With a robust brewing performance, Sabro proves to be a strongly expressive hop that translates its flavor incredibly well into beer.

Pedigree: Neomexicanus Female
Aroma: Fruity, citrus, coconut
Alpha Acids* 12.0 – 16.0%
Beta Acids: 4.0 – 7.0 %
Cohumulone: 20 - 24 % of alpha acids

Total Oil: 2.5 – 3.5 ml/100g
Myrcene: 51 - 68 % of total oil
Humulene: 7 - 14 % of total oil
Caryophyllene: 7 - 11 % of total oil
Farnesene: < 1 % of total o

Thanks

T
Intreeging. I'm sure brulosophy has done a hop chronicles on this Sabro.
Will be an interesting hop to try for sure

I'm liking Sabro, but half the time it's more the 'wtf is coconut doing in this beer' thought that I'm enjoying. We've used it on two of our beers and will probably use it again in the future. Haven't really got anything useful to add about the recipe other than I'll be interested in what you think of it on it's own. May change the blends we've used it in so far.

Sounds like a great hop for a chocolate porter type beernif there is a big coconut presence.

IMHO that you don't have near enough hops there.
I would lose the first wort addition, only boil for 30 minutes, take that FW addition and toss it in at 30.
I would go with 4-5 ounces for whirlpool, 4-5 ounces dry hop at high krauzen, and another 4-5 ounces as fermentation slows.
Also reverse your Chloride to Sulfate ratio.
Interesting yeast choice, curious to hear how that works out, it appears to be happy to work in the low to mid 70's.
NEIPA is all about the hop flavor and aroma;)

IMHO that you don't have near enough hops there.
I would lose the first wort addition, only boil for 30 minutes, take that FW addition and toss it in at 30.
I would go with 4-5 ounces for whirlpool, 4-5 ounces dry hop at high krauzen, and another 4-5 ounces as fermentation slows.
Also reverse your Chloride to Sulfate ratio.
Interesting yeast choice, curious to hear how that works out, it appears to be happy to work in the low to mid 70's.
NEIPA is all about the hop flavor and aroma;)

Ok, made some changes, I don't have enough Sabro to achieve the hop schedule outlined here but I do have Azacca that I think will work well with the Sabro.....This is going in the kettle in the morning, so cant really change much at this time....but what do you think?

I think azaca is a great hop for this style. I can only see your target water profile, not your actual profile with the salts you have added. Your Cl to SO4 should be 2:1, Cl of 100, SO4 of 50 would work, or 150:75.

I use Sabro quite a bit and combine it with Azacca in one of my favorite IPAs. They work well together. I’m not into NEIPAs much but I do agree with Craigerrr on water treatment. I tried Sabro in a stout and was surprised that the coconut didn’t come through much.

The revised hop schedule looks good for a NEIPA. Good luck. Cheers:)

never brewed a NEIPA, had a few milkshake IPA, liked them more than I thought I would, and the wife likes over the top citrus and fruit

I think azaca is a great hop for this style. I can only see your target water profile, not your actual profile with the salts you have added. Your Cl to SO4 should be 2:1, Cl of 100, SO4 of 50 would work, or 150:75.

so we want this to bring out the malt not the hops?

current Cl 110 / SO4 56

That is perfect. It doesn't really bring out the malt per se, it contributes the sustained haze your looking for.

That, and dry hopping during peak fermentation.

Do keep us up to date!

Back