zero min addition

west1m

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
quick question as I am trying out my new Anvil electric kettle right now:)
Somewhere I saw zero minute hops additions were done at 180° is that right as I have been tossing them in as I turn off the heat.

I would expect that addition to be either a whirlpool, or hopstand addition, usually has a time along with it. Whirlpool/hopstand 10mins @ 180

The time 0 min I have assumed to mean when you turn off the heat but I just saw something about this meaning 180° and was wondering if I have been doing things wrong.

The time 0 min I have assumed to mean when you turn off the heat but I just saw something about this meaning 180° and was wondering if I have been doing things wrong.

No, there are so many ways brewers do this. Some hold at 180 for 20-30 minutes, some chill right away (which still may mean 10 minutes at 150-200 degrees), and some do steady higher temperatures or lower, etc. In general, if you are following a recipe and they have flame out hops, you'd add those 0 minute hops at flame out, and chill right away.

No, there are so many ways brewers do this. Some hold at 180 for 20-30 minutes, some chill right away (which still may mean 10 minutes at 150-200 degrees), and some do steady higher temperatures or lower, etc. In general, if you are following a recipe and they have flame out hops, you'd add those 0 minute hops at flame out, and chill right away.

Sounds good, that is the way I have been doing it and it tastes like beer...

The call for the addition once the wort hits 180 degrees is likely there to limit additional bittering to the beer. Alpha acids continue to isomerize until the 175-180 degree range. Below 180, you shouldn't be increasing the bitterness very much.

For the purpose of a whirlpool, any idea how long it takes to get to <180F from a boil? Do you guys just let wort cool off on its own or do you chill it?

For the purpose of a whirlpool, any idea how long it takes to get to <180F from a boil? Do you guys just let wort cool off on its own or do you chill it?

I chill to 180, and then add my whirlpool hops. It doesn't take long for me, doing an 11 gallon batch with a CFC chiller and very cold ground water.

I recirculate during that time and let the hot wort sterilize my immersion chiller. Takes about ten minutes but that's a function of hose length and other losses of heat - your system will have a different time.

Ok, so if you cool to 180° then add hops, do you hold it at 180° for a while or just continue to cool?

Personally I have my whirlpool going with 15 left in the boil, then cool to 190ish, turn off the water, let it go round and round for 20 minutes. Temp is often down to 170 by then. Your results may vary, but it works for me. That and hitting the fermenter with a heavy hand of hops too!

Ok, so if you cool to 180° then add hops, do you hold it at 180° for a while or just continue to cool?

I'm sure some would, but I wouldn't. Though I'm only leaving them in for about 10 minutes currently, so the temp doesn't drop a lot in that time.

The different whirlpool timings and temps definitely changes the character of the beer, so you just have to play around with variations to work out what you prefer. Though the dry hop may end up overwhelming these differences, so not sure if we're overthinking things around the whirlpool additions at the moment.

I chill to 80c and keep it there using the controller 30mins is usually what I do or 20 if I'm keen to get it into the fermentor.

I'm sure some would, but I wouldn't. Though I'm only leaving them in for about 10 minutes currently, so the temp doesn't drop a lot in that time.

The different whirlpool timings and temps definitely changes the character of the beer, so you just have to play around with variations to work out what you prefer. Though the dry hop may end up overwhelming these differences, so not sure if we're overthinking things around the whirlpool additions at the moment.
Good post, the only thing I could opine further on is to say that, for me, hops, and when and how you add them, drive the beer.
I have yet to taste a beer and say "good lord man, way too many hops in that brew":D:D:D

I don't have the patience to stop and let it sit, so it whirlpools for as long as it takes my chiller to cool it from boiling. Which isn't very long.

Back