Summer time dancer lime gose

JE Loffland

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m fairly new to brewing but I was going to try the brew that’s in the title. Looking over the brew instructions it appears that all the hops go in in the last 10 minutes of the boil but nothing at the beginning of the boil. I’m assuming that is because the beer is meant to be a light and more citrusy flavored beer and doesn’t want a lot of happiness or bitterness. Just trying to make sure I’m reading that recipe correctly

Ah, the sweet complexity of brewing... For a Gose, how heavily you can hop depends on how you want to sour the beer. If you kettle sour up front, you don't have to worry about hops suppressing lactobacillus - the source of the souring. You'll sour the beer, then boil it. If you're adding lacto after you've chilled the wort, then you can't have more than 10 IBUs or the lacto won't work. Since you didn't share the recipe, I can't answer your specific situation but can cover them all.

If you're souring with lactic acid or acidulated malt, it doesn't matter. Given the hops at the end, I'm assuming you're pitching lacto so the answer is you want hop character (bacteria don't care) instead of iso-alpha acid bitterness (bacteria don't like). Your assumption on flavors is correct, too. Sour and bitter flavors don't blend very well - our lizard brains interpret this as poisonous or unripe.

Ah, the sweet complexity of brewing... For a Gose, how heavily you can hop depends on how you want to sour the beer. If you kettle sour up front, you don't have to worry about hops suppressing lactobacillus - the source of the souring. You'll sour the beer, then boil it. If you're adding lacto after you've chilled the wort, then you can't have more than 10 IBUs or the lacto won't work. Since you didn't share the recipe, I can't answer your specific situation but can cover them all.

If you're souring with lactic acid or acidulated malt, it doesn't matter. Given the hops at the end, I'm assuming you're pitching lacto so the answer is you want hop character (bacteria don't care) instead of iso-alpha acid bitterness (bacteria don't like). Your assumption on flavors is correct, too. Sour and bitter flavors don't blend very well - our lizard brains interpret this as poisonous or unripe.

Well here is the link to the recipe which is on Brewer‘s friend.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/698714/summer-time-lime-dancer-gose.

It appears that it’s getting it’s lemon:lime flavoring and sour mostly from the hops and from the yeast. What caught my eye during the brewing instructions is that there was nothing in the form of hops that were put in at the beginning of the boil. Everything goes in with 10 minutes left

Typically a Gose has very little bitterness. If you were to add hops at the top of the boil the addition would likely be incredibly small. Makes more sense to get the small bitterness and couple that with the flavor and aroma that comes from a late (10 minute) addition. Best of both worlds, really.

For kettle and quick lacto sours the acid is doing the preservative function that the hops usually do, so they're free to just be used as a flavouring.

And as they're just a flavouring the boil is only doing two things, limiting your chances of detecing DMS flavours and concentrating the wort. With modern pilsner malts making it harder to get DMS flavours and these beers being so flavourful I just do a 15 mintue boil and add a bit more grain to the mash.

And as that's an extract recipe you really can just add more DME and subtract boil time.

Back