Why no $ opptions?

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
In the past you have changed things up and added bells and whistles that everyone doesn't want. You were asked by several users for the option of removing it from the editor. Purchases for example. Why did you add costs to inventory and recipe editor and not make it so we who don't care what a tsp of gypsum costs don't have to clutter up the recipe with unwanted junk? I'm sure some want this or it wouldn't be there, I'm also sure some do not want any more clutter. Why isn't this update optional?

The costs aren't included in the ingredient properties by default and should be fairly unintrusive when blank. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing, and can come up with a reasonable solution for the many types of users we have. Is the issue the column in the inventory and shopping list, even when it's blank?

Would toggle-able column headers solve this issue for you? It's something I've considered in the past. For example, I like the cost, and dates, but could care less for the "milled" or "location" options for example. I do the majority of my recipe building on desktop though, so have plenty of screen space to go around, but I understand not everyone has the same platform or process.

The costs aren't included in the ingredient properties by default and should be fairly unintrusive when blank. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing, and can come up with a reasonable solution for the many types of users we have. Is the issue the column in the inventory and shopping list, even when it's blank?

Would toggle-able column headers solve this issue for you? It's something I've considered in the past. For example, I like the cost, and dates, but could care less for the "milled" or "location" options for example. I do the majority of my recipe building on desktop though, so have plenty of screen space to go around, but I understand not everyone has the same platform or process.
Yes toggle-able headers would give you the option of removing the cost column. It also adds clutter in the recipe header if cost is not a concern. If not in use it just adds clutter by ingredients entries too. I dont use the inventory or shopping list as the last upgrade had it so screwed up I just went to a whiteboard above my scales counter. Was considering trying them again but with what I have seen so far probably not now. By the time you get this straightened out you will be adding more stuff to fix. The Recipe Editor is a great platform and standing alone works very well. The more you add the more complicated it gets and the more easily bugged. A toggle under profile/ general/ recipe view settings with show fermentation charts that cleans out all to do with costs would be a 1 click clean up for those without a need to see costs. Show costs or don't show costs.

Agreed im sure this $ option is for the commercial brewers wanting to know how much each batch of beer costs to make down to the mineral additions.

And yes the inventory is unusable the whole purpose of an inventory is so that at a glance you can see what youve got in stock
Screenshot_20200413-075850_Samsung Internet.jpg
as you can see as is you need to scroll down for miles and miles its easier for me to go poke my head in the grain bucket lol. It was better before.

So was the dashboard its a scroll for miles and miles type scenario after this recent "upgrade":p check it
Screenshot_20200411-074936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ah well whats my premium subscription worth a six pack at the local brewery.
What a pro brewers subscription hmmm yeah i see how it is you cant please em all hey folks!

Agreed im sure this $ option is for the commercial brewers wanting to know how much each batch of beer costs to make down to the mineral additions.

And yes the inventory is unusable the whole purpose of an inventory is so that at a glance you can see what youve got in stockView attachment 9542as you can see as is you need to scroll down for miles and miles its easier for me to go poke my head in the grain bucket lol. It was better before.

So was the dashboard its a scroll for miles and miles type scenario after this recent "upgrade":p check itView attachment 9543
What a pro brewers subscription hmmm yeah i see how it is you cant please em all hey folks!
No, no you can't, but you can make it frustrating enough that the once solid member base that carried the software for years finally throw in the towel and move on. The price isn't all that high, but it is the highest of any other software out there that I've seen and a lot more headaches that go along with it. My membership expires today and it's a little bittersweet but not worth the hassle anymore and at this point I'd rather pay to support the forum than the software. Oh well, I hope the price of the Pro get's them what they want, they sure didn't seem to concerned about the chicken scratch I've been forking over the past few years.

And yes the inventory is unusable the whole purpose of an inventory is so that at a glance you can see what youve got in stockView attachment 9542as you can see as is you need to scroll down for miles and miles its easier for me to go poke my head in the grain bucket lol. It was better before.

So was the dashboard its a scroll for miles and miles type scenario after this recent "upgrade":p check itView attachment 9543

Hey Ben have you had any trouble with touch screen on bf with your tablet making a recipe? I'm not great at explaining this but main screen seems super sensitive and drop down menus such as grain choices are very tough to get to highlight for me. I can't see how settings on my tablet for sensitivity would do this on its own:confused:

we should be able to add a switch in settings to turn a lot off, I would agree to that before a toggle on screen

Agreed. It can go right with the switch to shut off the pretty rainbow graphs you don't need if you don't have an electronic hydrometer.

Ben, what device and browser are you using here in these screenshots? This is definitely unacceptable and I want to see what we can do to fix it ASAP.

We've made this issue a priority. That view is completely unacceptable and I apologize for this. I'll keep you posted on the fix.

We also are discussing how to hide the things you don't want to see on mobile. @Ozarks Mountain Brew, you suggested a selection in your settings to turn off the things you don't want to see. @Trialben and @Head First there was a discussion of a toggle.

I rarely use mobile, so I don't know which would be more convenient, intuitive, and user friendly. What do you guys think? I'm entering a ticket for a way to make this better for the mobile experience and would love to have your opinions!

Ben, what device and browser are you using here in these screenshots? This is definitely unacceptable and I want to see what we can do to fix it ASAP.
I use a Samsung galaxy S7 im sure its Chrome as the internet browser.
Im sure im not the only one that accesses this site via mobile.

might even want to think about making a mobile settings menu, that's a big thing to consider I know but I'm thinking about settings because it easier to control consistently

Hey Ben have you had any trouble with touch screen on bf with your tablet making a recipe? I'm not great at explaining this but main screen seems super sensitive and drop down menus such as grain choices are very tough to get to highlight for me. I can't see how settings on my tablet for sensitivity would do this on its own:confused:
Yeah sometimes when you touch the drop down headers you gotta hold your finger on them.

Can I switch the "$" option off? Mostly of little to no interest....

We've made this issue a priority. That view is completely unacceptable and I apologize for this. I'll keep you posted on the fix.

We also are discussing how to hide the things you don't want to see on mobile. @Ozarks Mountain Brew, you suggested a selection in your settings to turn off the things you don't want to see. @Trialben and @Head First there was a discussion of a toggle.

I rarely use mobile, so I don't know which would be more convenient, intuitive, and user friendly. What do you guys think? I'm entering a ticket for a way to make this better for the mobile experience and would love to have your opinions!
If possible a switch to hide all cost options is what I would like to see
This is getting old. It has been requested that users should have the choice of these additions. Over and over it gets ignored untill it blows up. Remember what we went through with printing ability? Remember when the little rainbow graphs were complained about and all it took to fix this is to add the option of hiding them? Would the admins please learn from past experience? I have beer to brew and writing the same complaints over and over is getting old. Glad you added cost option for the people who want it. For those of us who don't please give us a switch which could go right with the rainbow remover.
On another note the screenshots from mobil users look just like the ones from the prior update. Kind of scarry what this release would have looked like without being beta tested first!

I would like to thank you @Yooper and @Pricelessbrewing for all your efforts. I would have been gone johnson long ago without all of your efforts to work with everyone. I have every confidence you will once again straighten this out. In the mean time, I will be brewing and drinking beer.

Back