Water Adjustment

Brew Beard

Premium Member
Reaction score
Need some help with adjusting water for a Blue Moon Clone. Even with distilled water I can't get the mash PH below 6.5. I'm using the recipe from Adventures in Homebrewing. I have been using the water calculator but just can't get it down. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Need some help with adjusting water for a Blue Moon Clone. Even with distilled water I can't get the mash PH below 6.5. I'm using the recipe from Adventures in Homebrewing. I have been using the water calculator but just can't get it down. Any suggestions would be helpful.

You'll need some phosphoric or lactic acid to adjust the mash pH down. Still, with distilled water you shouldn't be above 6.5. It's a very light grainbill, but with distilled water I'd expect it to be more like 5.8 or so. Can you give us the link to the recipe and a screenshot of your water calculations so we can see where the problem is?

You'll need some phosphoric or lactic acid to adjust the mash pH down. Still, with distilled water you shouldn't be above 6.5. It's a very light grainbill, but with distilled water I'd expect it to be more like 5.8 or so. Can you give us the link to the recipe and a screenshot of your water calculations so we can see where the problem is?
https://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/Recipe_Instructions_2019/ag99-0091.pdf
https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=P8Y45XS
The first is the grain bill and the second is my water calc.
This is the first time I ever had this problem.
Thanks for looking at it for me

Yooper, thanks so much for your help. Since I have never ever had this problem, I added 1/2oz of latic acid and it brought it down to 5.35. Also I have been working on this for some time and I my PH should have read 5.6 not 6.5. I never gave the acid a thought and when I put it in the calculator it brought it right down. Thank you so much

I personally wouldn't stress at 5.6 PH. 6.5 would definitely have my attention though.

Back