Editing Recipes and Efficiency

SnoopW

Premium Member
Reaction score
I seem to struggle to get my head round this every time :-(

Each recipe has it's own efficiency set, if I edit the recipe and set my own equipment profile does the recipe get modified to match the efficiency of my equipment?

I seem to struggle to get my head round this every time :-(

Each recipe has it's own efficiency set, if I edit the recipe and set my own equipment profile does the recipe get modified to match the efficiency of my equipment?

No, the recipe's efficiency will not change based on your equipment, grain bill, or mash steps.

Every recipe, every set of equipment, and every brewers process will affect the efficiency.

At this time, we do not do efficiency predictions or estimations. None of the major recipe building software out there do, as far as I'm aware, there are a few standalone calculators (like braukaisers, or my own).

So do i need to manually adjust recipe efficency to match that of my equipment?

I'd adjust my efficiency on the brew session snapshot recipe, rather than the master recipe, but it's basically what you're saying.

So do i need to manually adjust recipe efficency to match that of my equipment?
Yes, for example if the recipe is set up by a brewer that does no sparge, and you batch sparge you might get ~3-5% more brewhouse efficiency, or if they have 0.5 gallon losses between postboil and batch size and you have 0 gallon losses there than you might have another ~5% gain.

Most brewers will usually start at the typical average of ~72-75% brewhouse. Then you'll need to take careful notes of your volumes and gravities and adjust from there.

You'll also find that higher OG recipes have a lower efficiency than lower OG recipes.

Back