Inventory Hops get converted to number in recipe

Jerry R

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm experiencing a problem. I have Amarillo and Simcoe hops in my inventory. When I use them in the recipe builder, and save the recipe, all good. When reopen recipe, the hop names got converted to a number. Then recipe saving fails. I went to my inventory. Looks good. Then when resaving Amarillo or Simcoe, the names are converted to a number. It can't be fixed. Can you help?

Thank you.

@Jerry R

Thanks for letting us know, that's definitely not supposed to happen!

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this. Are you able to make your recipe public so I can take a look?

Also tagging @Yooper to see if she's able to reproduce.

Ok my recipe is public. It is in APA folder and title is Lake Walk Pale Ale MASTER. It is still goofed up. Thank you!!!

I was able to fix the problem by deleting the two hops in causing trouble out of my inventory, and then adding them back into inventory again. The two old hops (inventory items), must have been corrupted by my recipe somehow.

I was able to fix the problem by deleting the two hops in causing trouble out of my inventory, and then adding them back into inventory again. The two old hops (inventory items), must have been corrupted by my recipe somehow.

Glad you're able to fix it manually, were still looking into this so it doesn't happen again!

I noticed similar problems to Jerry R with hop names in my recipes being replaced by numbers. I don't believe I saw this last Sunday when I last brewed (4/12/20). This only impacts the hops I've entered from my inventory. Generic hop names outside of my inventory don't change to numbers.

I went to my hop inventory listing. The variety names all looked good in the list. I then chose a hop to edit. Sure enough, the "Name" entry on the Add/Edit page was a the number that kept showing in my recipe. I have no idea of these specific numbers are somehow tied to specific hops or if they're unique to my inventory, but here's what I found:
* Amarillo = 91265
* Amarillo LupuLN2 (Cryo) = Amarillo LupuLN2 (Cryo) This one did not change to a number
* Cascade = 68951
* Cascade LupuLN2 (Cryo) = 126
* Centennial = 72619
* Centennial LupuLN2 (Cryo) =Centennial LupuLN2 (Cryo) This one did not change to a number
* Chinook = 86514
* Columbus = 74760
* East Kent Goldings = East Kent Goldings This one did not change to a number
* Many others to list

It did not seem to matter whether I actually had inventory of the hop or not, Date of last update didn't seem to matter either. By the way, all of these are pellets.

Before realizing the above, I focused on a particular recipe with Citra hops. (The one I brewed last Sunday.) This one also gave me a number (105708). I edited my Citra entry and changed the number back to Citra. (Note - my Citra pellets are 12.6 AA vs the default 11 AA.) I then went back to my recipe, selected my Citra hop from inventory, saved my recipe, closed and reopened the recipe. This time my hop entry showed "Citra (11 AA)", which is the default Citra entry. Luckily the AA was still listed as 12.6, which is correct for my inventory.

I checked my Fermentable items in inventory, and all names seem to be correct (not numbers). This seems to be impacting the hops only.

I will hold off fixing my hop inventory entries in case there is additional information we can learn from it.

Thanks, Eric

I've experienced exactly the same when I was updating my inventory.
It changed the name of the hop in several occasions to a number when I went into edit to change the inventory and price.
Tricky thing with that was, that after typing the right Hop name in the Name field, it changed back the Alpha to the default setting.

I've tried to replicate the issue, but am not able to... seems that the buggy ones have been reset by updating the name.

I have a continuation along the same theme (names being changed to numbers), but this time it's with my yeast inventory entries.

The yeast entries in my recipes did NOT change to numbers when viewing the recipe; however, when I opened them in my inventory to update them, their names had changed to a number . In addition, the brand of yeast entry changed to a blank in one and a number in another. When I clicked on the brand cell to chose one, I even got a hop brand drop down list to pick from on one yeast. The next time I went back to confirm, I got a fermentables drop down list for options.

Further troubleshooting, if I refresh the inventory web page, edit an item, the dropdown list is correct for the item (yeasts for example). If then go to fermentables, edit an item, the brand drop down is for yeasts. If I refresh the web page and go directly to the fermentables, then the brand drop down list is the correct one for fermentables. BTW, I'm using MS Edge on a Win 10 desktop.

There's been some really strange stuff happening in the management of inventory data since the most recent update. This is becoming a serious issue.

Thanks for investigating, Eric

This is my London Ale III 1318 entry:
upload_2020-4-19_7-49-41.png

Here's my American Pale 2-Row with Yeast drop-down list in brands.
upload_2020-4-19_7-56-8.png

We have a fix on beta, and hopefully it will be released soon.

@eheeke do you want to check it out on the beta site if you have time? It's at beta.brewersfriend.com. If you log in, you can see if this is fixed for you.

I checked out the beta site this evening. Making progress, but more work to be done.

1) When I open my recipes, I no longer see numbers in place of hop names. This part appears to be corrected. I even changed some hop selections from the 'generic name' and chose my 'actual inventory name', save the recipe, and reloaded the recipe. The changes to my inventoried hops were maintained properly.

2) However, the inventory bugs via the My Inventory page are not yet fixed. The overall inventory listing appears to be correct; however, when I look at individual entries:
  • The drop down selections for Brands are not always correct.
  • For example, after opening the inventory listing, I chose to edit a Fermentable. The options in the Brand drop down were correct.
  • Then I scrolled down to Hops and selected a hop to edit. The Brand was empty, so I clicked on the entry area to get the drop down list of Hop Brands; however, the drop down list was for the Fermentables.
  • I refreshed the My Inventory page and edited the same hop. This time the Brand drop down listing showed appropriate hop brands.
  • I scrolled back up to Fermentables, edited a grain, and the Brand options in the drop down were for Hops.
  • Similar things happen with the Yeast entries as well.

Thanks, Eric

I checked out the beta site this evening. Making progress, but more work to be done.

1) When I open my recipes, I no longer see numbers in place of hop names. This part appears to be corrected. I even changed some hop selections from the 'generic name' and chose my 'actual inventory name', save the recipe, and reloaded the recipe. The changes to my inventoried hops were maintained properly.

2) However, the inventory bugs via the My Inventory page are not yet fixed. The overall inventory listing appears to be correct; however, when I look at individual entries:
  • The drop down selections for Brands are not always correct.
  • For example, after opening the inventory listing, I chose to edit a Fermentable. The options in the Brand drop down were correct.
  • Then I scrolled down to Hops and selected a hop to edit. The Brand was empty, so I clicked on the entry area to get the drop down list of Hop Brands; however, the drop down list was for the Fermentables.
  • I refreshed the My Inventory page and edited the same hop. This time the Brand drop down listing showed appropriate hop brands.
  • I scrolled back up to Fermentables, edited a grain, and the Brand options in the drop down were for Hops.
  • Similar things happen with the Yeast entries as well.

Thanks, Eric
That's a new one, thanks for the report! I'll submit an issue to the developers in the morning.

Back