Winsor and Nottingham mixed

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I have a second batch of J A's stout that I brewed about 2 weeks ago that was fast to ferment so at the end of a week, I moved it out of my 65° F chamber thinking that I would allow things to cool down and better flocculate in the 50° ambient temps of my cellar. Two days later, I notice have active fermentation going on which has continued into the beginning of a second week but no visible sign of any yeast partying going through the glass carboy. The active sign is a limp but steady burping in the airlock. Wanting to be sure to get things back up to typical ale temps, I wrapped a heat belt on the carboy and have been slowing bumping things up a couple degrees a day for the last 5 days now.

What I did differently here was to go with 22 grams of dried yeast for the 6g of wort somewhat over shooting, +25B, what was needed. I tried mixing 2 different yeasts of Nottingham and Windsor after reading these 2 work very well together specifically to help you get full attenuation of the 1046 wort. I am yet to check the SG as I want to be read to bottle when I do it...maybe tomorrow...

So the question is what am I seeing here? Did I miss something about one the yeasts liking cooler temps, off gassing? Too much yeast??

So I have a second batch of J A's stout that I brewed about 2 weeks ago that was fast to ferment so at the end of a week, I moved it out of my 65° F chamber thinking that I would allow things to cool down and better flocculate in the 50° ambient temps of my cellar. Two days later, I notice have active fermentation going on which has continued into the beginning of a second week but no visible sign of any yeast partying going through the glass carboy. The active sign is a limp but steady burping in the airlock. Wanting to be sure to get things back up to typical ale temps, I wrapped a heat belt on the carboy and have been slowing bumping things up a couple degrees a day for the last 5 days now.

What I did differently here was to go with 22 grams of dried yeast for the 6g of wort somewhat over shooting, +25B, what was needed. I tried mixing 2 different yeasts of Nottingham and Windsor after reading these 2 work very well together specifically to help you get full attenuation of the 1046 wort. I am yet to check the SG as I want to be read to bottle when I do it...maybe tomorrow...

So the question is what am I seeing here? Did I miss something about one the yeasts liking cooler temps, off gassing? Too much yeast??
I didnt read anything about a krausen reforming? You carried it to warmer location around the house.
Co2 dissipates quicker the higher the temperature.

So im guessing thats all your witnessing there ward:).

I didnt read anything about a krausen reforming? You carried it to warmer location around the house.
Co2 dissipates quicker the higher the temperature.

So im guessing thats all your witnessing there ward:).

Thats what it looks like to me. Notty can ferment some at cooler temps but 50f is pretty cool for it even.
Probably just burping after a good meal:rolleyes:?

dnt read anything about a krausen reforming?

No, no reformation of krausen reformation. I'm letting it sit and burp away and I too lazy right now to check out the SG.

Back