Scaling down from 15BBL to a 5 gallon batch

Scarhead Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
I got a recipe from a brewery and I want to scale it down to a 5 gallon batch. Is there an easy way to scale it down? I've been playing around with calculations in my head (and calculator) and it's taking forever and not sure if I'm being accurate or not. It's a recipe for a NEIPA and it's so crazy seeing pounds and pounds and pounds of hops!!

we have a scale function within any recipe on the menu, edit any recipe, on the bar choose recipe tools/ scale

Do I need to convert 15 BBL into gallons? I’ve only ever used this to build my own recipes and I’m not familiar with any of the features really.

I got a recipe from a brewery and I want to scale it down to a
Do I need to convert 15 BBL into gallons? I’ve only ever used this to build my own recipes and I’m not familiar with any of the features really.
Yep. Or you can convert 5 gal into barrels (1/6th, close enough for jazz). 15 barrels is 465 gallons (31 gallons/barrel). There will be efficiency differences, use the default 70% until you know better, meaning you will need slightly more grain per gallon than the brewery did. Hops should convert by simple division. Water - you'll have to know your system's losses and scale that way, it doesn't scale directly due to brewing system differences.

Basically divide the numbers and get percentages for the grain. Then just add them in at those percentages till you get 5 gallons worth. Hops basically same idea but for IBU or %AA.
It's a bit of math but totally doable.

Back