Better Bottle abuse

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I happened on a bunch of equipment from a guy off of Craigs List for a song and the deal included a couple of used Better Bottles that look to have scratches in them. The bottles don't smell or anything but I'm bugged by the scratches. I don't really need them but don't want to toss stuff that still has life. Are there any BB users on the Forum with advice? What the opinion? Keepers or the Curb?

So I happened on a bunch of equipment from a guy off of Craigs List for a song and the deal included a couple of used Better Bottles that look to have scratches in them. The bottles don't smell or anything but I'm bugged by the scratches. I don't really need them but don't want to toss stuff that still has life. Are there any BB users on the Forum with advice? What the opinion? Keepers or the Curb?
Same answer for any plastic fermenter. Scratches on outside no biggy. Scratches on inside can harbor possible bugs that are impossible to remove.

OK...so strike and chiller water transport it is! Hate me the sours...I got 2 cans of Sour Monkey a buddy passed along over the holidays that will be there next year.....maybe a couple of CAN-adates for slug bait!

Are you sure the scratches are on the inside? I got two Better Bottles for $5 at a yard sale that look as though they'd been through a war zone, but all of the damage was on the outside. Inside they were fine and I have been using them for a few years now with no issues.

Last edited:
Are you sure the scratches are on the inside? I got two Better Bottles for $5 at a yard sale that look as though they'd been through a war zone, but all of the damage was on the outside. Inside they were fine and I have been using them for a few years now with no issues.

I'll have to take a closer look now that you mention it and has I have noticed over the last couple of days that my glasses may need some checking ...I think I am due a new script for them....

I'll have to take a closer look now that you mention it and has I have noticed over the last couple of days that my glasses may need some checking ...I think I am due a new script for them....
Likewise. I have PET bottles (plastic ones) with years on them! But then, I never use the brush on them, relying on soaking, rinsing and aggressive chemicals to keep them clean.

Back