Ingredients – Supplies

Mka

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm sure this has been answered. I'm currently doing only 5 gallons batches and I just got to my local HB Store. Where do you usually get your Ingredients and supplies pre brewing. BrewersFriend, Northern B ? If they do not have what you are looking, suggestions? or do you prefer going to the HB store?

Now with the new COVID-19 craziness it seems is better just to order online.

Cheers!

Mk.

I've only been to local homebrew stores, typically just one.
I like to weigh out and mill my own grains, maybe taste a few to get a sense of the malt. Apparently, not many places let the customer do that
They usually have a pretty good supply of different grains, though I may have to substitute some hops or yeast on the fly if they've run out of the popular ones

Right now, depending on the situation where you live, online might be your best or only option. My lhbs is locked up, but technically open. Everything is handled online though from ordering to payment. Once you arrive, you call them and they bring the order out and you pick it up. This is a great option imo. Keeps everyone relatively safe, and supports your local business and economy which is important right now.
Our lhbs is posting that business has been similar if not busier than the holidays.
I do order Homebrew supplies and even ingredients online from time to time, but I've always felt that if you have a local business worth supporting then you should. Especially right now.

I started keeping ingredients in bulk about a year ago, which puts me in a good position now. To answer your though, I have purchased all ingredients from either one of two LHBS shops locally to date.

Hello!

I'm sure this has been answered. I'm currently doing only 5 gallons batches and I just got to my local HB Store. Where do you usually get your Ingredients and supplies pre brewing. BrewersFriend, Northern B ? If they do not have what you are looking, suggestions? or do you prefer going to the HB store?

Now with the new COVID-19 craziness it seems is better just to order online.

Cheers!

Mk.
Our local homebrew store is so well stocked I almost never order ingredients online. They'll get anything exotic for me if I ask. You might try what I did last brew: Call or order online, then go pick the stuff up.

Other than my hops, I buy everything from one of 3 LHBS. I have found that for ingredients it is just as cheap as online once shipping costs are added, and I don't trust shipping yest.

I do both. The local supply stores near me have the basic grains and most of the yeast strains but sometimes what I need is out. Then I use online especially when I'm told it will be in in a couple of weeks. I get stuff from Morebeer.com in about 4 days (free shipping). I only buy fry yeast online.

My LHBS is not well stocked so I usually order from Morebeer.com. They have a warehouse in PA so shipping to MD is one day usually. Their prices are fair, although I will order hops online elsewhere if in bulk.

LHBS is 2.5 hours one way and is Northern Brewer. RiteBrew is very good and offers delivery Via a local delivery company SpeeDee and that gets here in one day usually.

Also a local brewery will sell me full sacks of grain and even put ones I want on their monthly order

My local has good ingredient supply but is usually ridiculously overpriced on gear.

I just shopped at my lhbs, picking up malt and yeast for brew day tomorrow. Their kitchen was open for take out, and they had canned beers to go, but the taproom was closed. They gave me a 10% discount without asking - very nice!

That is one thing, the LHBS gives a 10% discount to the local brewers group members, so that helps and pays for itself quick.

I've only been to local homebrew stores, typically just one.
I like to weigh out and mill my own grains, maybe taste a few to get a sense of the malt. Apparently, not many places let the customer do that
They usually have a pretty good supply of different grains, though I may have to substitute some hops or yeast on the fly if they've run out of the popular ones

I have switched hops, yeast and grains at my local HBS as well whenever i cannot find what I'm looking for. Also they are usually friendly and like to chat about different subjects or recipe.

Mk

I have switched hops, yeast and grains at my local HBS as well whenever i cannot find what I'm looking for. Also they are usually friendly and like to chat about different subjects or recipe.

Mk
Love your avatar, man! Most appropriate.

Back