Increase toffee flavor in a porter

jay3847

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a porter recipe I like but want to up the toffee notes in it. I have read that reducing some of the wort by half (maybe a couple pints) will do that. For an experiment, I reduce some of the final beer. Bleah! I forgot that method would also double the bitterness. But that failed experiment also got me to thinking about what part of the wort I really wanted to bump up. Certainly not the Black Patent.

So, would it make sense to make a small wort from 2 row and reduce that by half? SHould I also include some of the chocolate malt in there or some of the roasted barley? Or just make some dark invert sugar?

Have you tried Special B malt? It may not be exactly the flavor profile you are looking for, but it does not have any of the acrid character that you sometimes get with the highly roasted malts.

Repeat your experiment but just grab the wort before you add any hops. I think you'll get what you are looking for without having to alter the grist. I batch sparge and take one gallon of the first runnings and boil that down to one quart. Really brings out the toffee & caramel flavors.

Repeat your experiment but just grab the wort before you add any hops. I think you'll get what you are looking for without having to alter the grist. I batch sparge and take one gallon of the first runnings and boil that down to one quart. Really brings out the toffee & caramel flavors.
Just to clarify, you take one gallon of the first runnings, not the results of the sparge.

Back