Cacooning strange brew

Group W

Trial Member
Reaction score
While I’m sitting here watching an MMA event with no fans in attendance, my mind began to wander... I have all the ingredients for my next brew. But after that, with our LHBS closing, virus madness, social distancing, etc. I got to thinking of a minimalist brew.

Resilience IPA came to mind. But something more basic might be necessary given ingredient shortages, but not as restrictive as prison beer and more of a necessity style than our occasional leftovers ale.

So I was thinking of a pale ale with 2-row, 5-10% crystal malt, Cascade hops and bread yeast. “My Corona” pale ale.

What would you brew?
What would you call it?

Simple pale grist half and half barley/adjuncts be it old bread/rolled oats with a bittering hop fermented with hornindal kviek to provide some fruity flavours.

I got to thinking of a minimalist brew.

Resilience IPA came to mind. But something more basic might be necessary given ingredient shortages, but not as restrictive as prison beer and more of a necessity style than our occasional leftovers ale.

So I was thinking of a pale ale with 2-row, 5-10% crystal malt, Cascade hops and bread yeast.

Would bread yeast work? Has anyone tried this? (He asks, knowing full well SOMEONE must have tried this already).

Would bread yeast work? Has anyone tried this? (He asks, knowing full well SOMEONE must have tried this already).
There is lots of chatter about it on HBT, but little experience. Basically it’s taboo among brewers. Just a thought if in a pinch. I haven’t tried it yet.

So I was thinking of a pale ale with 2-row, 5-10% crystal malt, Cascade hops and bread yeast. “My Corona” pale ale.

What would you brew?
What would you call it?

M-m-m-my Corona...….Yeah I know...Wifey says I have "The Knack" for naming things! :rolleyes:

I'll be here all weak folks

I used bread yeast when trying to recreate a blue moon pretzel beer years back...let's just say I think they used some other method to get the pretzeley flavor in there

Bread yeast aside, another simple brew would be a Cream Ale. Not dependent much on hops, pale or pils 2-row, sugar and if a slight corn flavor is desired make a cereal mash from corn meal.

Placed an order online with my LHBS yesterday for a pound each of Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe. With that I have enough ingredients for my next few batches (10 gallon batches). Ready to ride out the storm. Wife also just placed a grocery store order for pick up, S'all Good Man!

When Charlie Papazian and friends got started in the early days of (legal) homebrewing, all they had was bread yeast. I'm sure it didn't make the best beer, but back then that's all they had. So yes, you can brew with bread yeast but, only as a last resort.

When Charlie Papazian and friends got started in the early days of (legal) homebrewing, all they had was bread yeast. I'm sure it didn't make the best beer, but back then that's all they had. So yes, you can brew with bread yeast but, only as a last resort.
And remember if no bread yeast there is always Spontaneous Fermentation:rolleyes:.

Ready to ride out the storm. Wife also just placed a grocery store order for pick up, S'all Good Man!

Craigerr's wife sparked an old Youtube 2 parter in my head that I had to go find...this stuff might be left on the store shelves but it may need to be filtered through a paper towel ….if you can find one...anybody for a Hazy IPA? Or in this case, a hazy "IGA"?

Wheat germ has enzymes cool lernt something from this cheers.
Why not just pitch the bread yeast into the apple juice and make cider maybe add a little citric/tartic acid that's another shop only brew:rolleyes:

Wheat germ containing enzymes was news to me also. Originally I was thinking one ingredient most brewers would have in stock is malted 2-row. But one could malt raw grains from the grocery store or feed store. Just put on a cloth, moisten, cover with a damp cloth, sprout, dry, and maybe lightly roast. There must be a video on home malting out there.

And remember if no bread yeast there is always Spontaneous Fermentation:rolleyes:.
Just built a friends spontaneous capture up to a 10 litre batch. First 1 litre batch was pretty nice, bit of subtle floral and a good attenuator. Let this one ferment at room temp and it tastes so like a Belle Saison that I'm suspecting that we'll go back to the drawing board. And there's virtually no chance of cross contamination. She doesn't brew and it's year's since I've bought a commercial saison strain.

While I’m sitting here watching an MMA event with no fans in attendance, my mind began to wander... I have all the ingredients for my next brew. But after that, with our LHBS closing, virus madness, social distancing, etc. I got to thinking of a minimalist brew.

What would you brew?
What would you call it?

Thinking I'd just order what I need from MoreBeer. I've tasted beer made with bread yeast and have no desire to taste it again. Maybe it'd be OK if you filtered it through some of the TP :)

Just built a friends spontaneous capture up to a 10 litre batch. First 1 litre batch was pretty nice, bit of subtle floral and a good attenuator. Let this one ferment at room temp and it tastes so like a Belle Saison that I'm suspecting that we'll go back to the drawing board. And there's virtually no chance of cross contamination. She doesn't brew and it's year's since I've bought a commercial saison strain.
Cool tastes like saison is a great outcome.
I know wild fermentation brewers usually have a Few batches on hand for blending.
I'd love to give this a go one day but for now I'm keeping it hopefully strain specific ;).

Back