Bread Thread!

Thinking I can finally call this a success. Just fed this with a 50/50 whole wheat/AP about 3 hours before the pic was taken. Nice yeasty/beery aroma too. Will be doing a loaf of no knead artisan bread Friday. If it isn't sour enough, will split off some starter and try adding some dust from milled grain to introduce some lacto.

Success.jpg

Saving discards in the fridge and will be making some sourdough pancakes for breakfast Saturday and a batch of pizza dough to freeze.

I've found that for tartness, let it incubate warm, as in the 90's. When I incubate the dough, I let it sit in an oven with the light on, keeps the temperature up and makes a nice tartness. I wouldn't worry about adding more lacto - you have enough in there as it is....

Thinking I can finally call this a success. Just fed this with a 50/50 whole wheat/AP about 3 hours before the pic was taken. Nice yeasty/beery aroma too. Will be doing a loaf of no knead artisan bread Friday. If it isn't sour enough, will split off some starter and try adding some dust from milled grain to introduce some lacto.

View attachment 8998

Saving discards in the fridge and will be making some sourdough pancakes for breakfast Saturday and a batch of pizza dough to freeze.
You bloody beauty bob glad your finally having some success with it.

I've found that for tartness, let it incubate warm, as in the 90's. When I incubate the dough, I let it sit in an oven with the light on, keeps the temperature up and makes a nice tartness. I wouldn't worry about adding more lacto - you have enough in there as it is....

Good tip, thanks. My oven gets into the mid to high 80swith the light on. May try that first.

Congrats Bob! I've made some crackers and pizza dough with discards. Might have to try some pancakes next.

Congrats Bob! I've made some crackers and pizza dough with discards. Might have to try some pancakes next.
Thanks. Looking at a cracker recipe too. Will be saving discards for sure. There's no shortage of recipes out there.

Something that makes my breads a bit more sour is the overnight retarding of the dough ( shape dough ready for the bake cover with plastic bag and refrigerate overnight).

Either way your starter should get a bit more sour as it develops with a bit of age.
Looking forward to seeing your first bread bob.

Something that makes my breads a bit more sour is the overnight retarding of the dough ( shape dough ready for the bake cover with plastic bag and refrigerate overnight).

Either way your starter should get a bit more sour as it develops with a bit of age.

Thanks for the tips. This recipe doesn't call for the stretching, folding and the other things that many call for over a few hours and calls for leaving covered on the counter overnight. On a fairly tight schedule the next few days and picked it for the timing. Not expecting the nice bubbles and airiness, but hoping for a tasty loaf that doesn't look like a cow flop anyways. Visitors coming in to celebrate an early St. Pat's day over the weekend. Once they're gone will be concentrating on technique.

Thanks for the tips. This recipe doesn't call for the stretching, folding and the other things that many call for over a few hours and calls for leaving covered on the counter overnight. On a fairly tight schedule the next few days and picked it for the timing. Not expecting the nice bubbles and airiness, but hoping for a tasty loaf that doesn't look like a cow flop anyways. Visitors coming in to celebrate an early St. Pat's day over the weekend. Once they're gone will be concentrating on technique.
Yeah it can be tough to work your way around sourdough time wise either be home all day or let it proof overnight /shape in morning/refrigerate/bake when time is spare.

Well, the first loaf didn't win any beauty contest, but it was tasty. I really didn't have high expectations for this down & dirty recipe and the appearance was nothing to write home about.

Loaf.jpg

Let it sit out most of the day and sliced some for supper. It was a bit dense, but had a nice texture and a fair amount of tang.

Loaf2.jpg

The recipe (below) called for 2 1/2 cups of active starter. I stirred it down before measuring and ended up with a really thin dough after sitting overnight. Thinking now that maybe I should have measured without stirring down.

Doing biscuits & gravy tomorrow for breakfast with discarded sourdough biscuits. Our visitors liked the bread and when I suggested the sourdough biscuits, they jumped on the choice.

Attachments

• No Knead Sourdough Bread.pdf
    4.4 KB · Views: 165
Wow, all the breads look great!
I've been super busy and haven't baked in a while, but today I bake!
I'm going to make up 1 batch for the dutch oven and 2 for loaf pans. I'll also make up some dough for Pizza tomorrow!.
I'm disappointed that I haven't been able to find the Flour I like, so I'll be using 2 other brand today.
This "pandemic" thing is really messing with what's on the shelves at the stores.
Cheers,
Brian

I just use ordinary flour, it's not as favorable but a fluffier or lighter texture, same for pizza, bread flour is too dense

Well, my first loaf was a hit. Guess I was just too critical. Had a crowd over yesterday for an early St. Patricks' day supper and everyone complimented on the bread. Also almost did in my quart jar of discarded starter making biscuits with spicy pork sausage gravy for breakfast yesterday and sourdough pancakes to go with the bacon and eggs this morning.
Not enough left for a batch of pizza dough so, need to pull the starter out of the fridge and start feeding it again.

Back