Good hoppy beers in Aus?

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've been exploring the beer options here for a while now and the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale has been by far the best flavoured beer I've found so far. Maybe I'm spoiled by Canadian IPA's but they all seem very muted here, is that normal or am I just finding bad examples?

Black hops do some bloody good beers they are based burlieh heads their IPA is bloody noice so is their Pale.
Look for a black can with bright yellow label. You'll thank me.
If you can't find it go to Dan Murphys.

10-4, I'm in the Sydney CBD and working till 3:30 every day so it's tricky getting out to places and the "craft" places have been pretty meh.

10-4, I'm in the Sydney CBD and working till 3:30 every day so it's tricky getting out to places and the "craft" places have been pretty meh.

Bigger distribution hoppy beers you may find in random pubs are Balter, Fixation and Pirate Life (Fixation are the IPA arm of Stone and Wood as they used to have a no IPA policy for the Stone and Wood brand).

Somebody was telling me the other day Beer Deluxe in King St Wharf had good beers, but looking at the tap list it's not what you're after.

I always find Sydney CBD pubs a waste of time. Not too far out are Bitter Phew or The Taphouse in Darlinghurst. Bitter Phew may have a few interesting ones. Not a lot of hops at The Taphouse at the moment. And there's also The Unicorn a bit further out, though may not be worth the effort.

I ended up at a place called Red Bottle liquor and got myself a 6 pack of variety IPA. Guy working there named Jake was a top notch guy who home brews himself. Shared a dark stoutish beer with us after he locked up the place and we chatted for 10-15 minutes. Was neat.

I think I'd rather have to take the train the next time I'm in and locate near better beer territory.

Most of what I had kind of had the idea of the beer but kind of stopped at about 60% of what it really should have been. The Lord Nelson had some decent beers but was really busy. $13 for a friggin pint was a piss off too.

Back to Canada where I can get local craft for $5 a pint!

I ended up at a place called Red Bottle liquor and got myself a 6 pack of variety IPA. Guy working there named Jake was a top notch guy who home brews himself. Shared a dark stoutish beer with us after he locked up the place and we chatted for 10-15 minutes. Was neat.

I think I'd rather have to take the train the next time I'm in and locate near better beer territory.

Most of what I had kind of had the idea of the beer but kind of stopped at about 60% of what it really should have been. The Lord Nelson had some decent beers but was really busy. $13 for a friggin pint was a piss off too.

Back to Canada where I can get local craft for $5 a pint!
Yeah it ain't cheap down here there Hawkbox government tax the S#$t out of everything.
One of the local craft brewerys up my way won micro brewery comp
IMG_2958.jpg

$5000 for 4 beers, that sounds about right.

Good on them.

I think we're near the top for highest excise rate on booze in the world. Just after the gulf states.

Yeah no doubt. I thought Canada was expensive but we're nothing.

Yeah, getting a $13 pint was a head spinner.

Back