Wolf Pup clone (Golden Road)

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
Need help from the experienced brewers here. My wife really likes a "Session IPA" produced by Golden Road called Wolf Pup. Short of contacting Golden Road, I've searched the web to find a clone recipe but haven't come across one that uses all the ingredients that Golden Road lists as their ingredients on their website (see below). I did come across a forum where someone did reach out to Golden Road for the recipe and received the following (when the reached out for more information, they got stone walled):

From golden Road: "First off, the malt bill is pretty interesting. You’re going to want to use around 50% Maris Otter (we use Crisp). We also use around 5% Rye and 12% Crisp Dextrin malt. All of these provide the solid malt backbone to support all of the hops. The remaining malt is simply Rahr 2-row. We don’t use any hops for bittering; we simply get our 45-48 IBU from a single addition of Simcoe in the whirlpool. We dry hop twice. The first is with Simcoe, Chinook, and Mosaic. The 2nd is Mosaic, Equinox, and Galaxy. We dump the hops 2 days after each dry hop. The ABV is 4.5 and the target IBU is 45. The Sulphate to Chloride ratio is around 2.5. We don’t it to taste too minerally from too much sulphate."

Ingredients from their website:
Malt: 2-row, Maris Otter, Malted Rye, Crisp Dextrine Malt
Hops: Cascade, Simcoe, Chinook, Equinox, Mosaic, and Galaxy

Also per their website, they offer the following: OG/FG: 10.8/3.2 (I am assuming Brix), ABV: 4.5%, IBU: 50

They Do Not mention a yeast, nor mash/boil times. As it is a fairly light colored beer, I am assuming no more than a 60 minute boil.

Having never created my own recipe from scratch, other than hybrids of a SMaSH IPA using Citrus and Maris Otter, I was hopeful that some of the more experienced brewers/recipe builders here could get me closer than I could. We do 5 Gallon All-Grain Batches with between 5-5.25 gallon into the fermentor.

Anyone interested in giving it a go for a recipe based on the above information?

Ooh I'm curious myself. I'd bet they have some in house yeast, hence the no comment on yeast. I bet I could throw something together but since I don't know what it actually tastes like god only knows what I would end up with.

I can probably back into the grain bill via the ABV as it’s not a sweet beer, rather more dry than sweet so guessing a 151 or lower mash temp. but it’s the hop additions that I’d have a hard time backing into the IBU’s with, and have no idea on the yeast or the mash temp.

well they pretty much laid it out for you:).
mash middle of the road for 60. as for tge yeast you could go neutral if thats what you got in terms of flavour like a clean crisp flavour. or if more rounded ballanced something more phenolic or flavourfull like that American ale yeast @Mark D Pirate was talking about. what about that Conan yeast from heady topper.

they must whirlpool straight from flame out so in the recipie calculator set the hop extention for 30 min and adjust hop amount untill you hit 35IBUo_O.

hopefully others can be more helpful.

Back