Voss and stuck fermentation.

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I had a sour ale get stuck after i let it get more sour then i should have.

Stats:
OG: 13.3p
Knock temp: 34.6c
Starting ph: 5.19
Volume: 76 gals
50g of llalemand sour pitch while knocking out

I let the Sour pitch drop down to 3.32ph. Pitched Yeast on day 3(day 1 being the brew day). Pitched 250g of Apex San diego(chico) dry yeast while mixing the wort.

It was VERY sluggish and had only dropped 3p in 3 days.

I think that the low ph, lack of simple sugars, and O2 doomed the first pitch.

I pitched 2L of active second generation Voss along with 6.8L of Pineapple Juice and 7.9L of Orange Juice. My thought process with the fruit and the yeast at the same time was that the fruit would provide the simple sugars needed for the already active Voss to do their thing. By this point the ph had dropped down to 3.16. and the gravity was 8.1p @ 22.7c.

I roused the yeast using CO2 daily on this tank. It finished on day 14 at 4.2p which was 68% att 5%ABV and 3.2ph.

In the future I will do my best to use active yeast. I will add the fruit for the batch and blow O2 through the carb stone while pitching the fruit and the yeast. I think this should avoid the super slow fermentation. Even with this, I would not expect great attenuation from the batch. Also a very hardy yeast like Voss would be my first choice. Sours are always slow to ferment, but this was fully stuck when i pitched the Voss.

The finished beer is very very good and probably the most sour batch that I have made to this point. I noticed parts of the stringy pelical while packaging the beer. I basically did a very clean kettle sour lol. No off flavors, just very sour.

Painkiller inspired Sour ale
added:
FG: 4.2p
ph: 3.2
ABV: 5.05%
Att: 68%
Grain to glass: 16 days
total volume packaged: 4x15.5 plus most of a quarter keg.
~12L of Pineapple juice
~12L of Orange Juice
250ml of Vanilla
1.7L of Coconut flavoring

The beer is served with fresh nutmeg on top!

Sort of rambling but was trying to get the info out there.

Definitally a very sour one!
But if Voss can't fix it, then who can?

Back