Trick to cleaning hoses

Brewer #404298

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't feel like I get the hoses very clean compared to the rest of my equipment. Especially ones with the quick connectors or the beer ball locks.

Thinking about rigging up a hot water fitting system where I can connect each hose when I am done with it to purge it with hot water at high pressure. Anyone done something like this and would share a photo?

Are talking about serving hoses for a kegerator or on your brew setup?

I find pbw works wonders for most things.

Beerline cleaner works really well for beer lines. just make sure you rinse it really well, kinda toxic.

All hoses that I use in the process. But mostly ones for circulating the wort or transferring from kettle to fermenter and then from fermenter to keg.

I use pbw and circulate it through everything after a brew day. But it would even be nice to initially wash the hoses out with clean water because I find that I have to go through a couple versions of BBW because the first one is brown from the beer that is still in the lines.

All hoses that I use in the process. But mostly ones for circulating the wort or transferring from kettle to fermenter and then from fermenter to keg.

I use pbw and circulate it through everything after a brew day. But it would even be nice to initially wash the hoses out with clean water because I find that I have to go through a couple versions of BBW because the first one is brown from the beer that is still in the lines.
only thing I do to clear the hoses is push the beer out of the lines using co2 pressure. clears out the herms coil and all the hoses. after that 3-4 gallons of water 2 scoops of PBW, heat it to 160F and let it circulate for 20 minutes. everything comes out clean.

what kind of hoses are they? I use 100% silicon

On the brewing side I run hot tap water through the hoses and CFC as soon is I am done, then I recirculate hot PBW mixture like at @Minbari . Rinsing first gets the majority of it out. The PBW mixture normally stays pretty clean after that. A thorough rinse with hot water again after the PBW.
On the beer lines I have a similar process, except I use PET soda bottles and co2 to push through. Rinse, than fill with hot beer line cleaner mixture, then rinse, then fill with sanitizer until it is time to tap another keg.

After filling a line with the hot liquid line cleaner I leave it sit for a good 10 minutes.
20240219_103536.jpg

I generally only ribse hoses with water. But pbw would be better for sure.

Back