Show me your gardening Progress

IMG_8198.jpeg

No rain for a week and a little spare time last night was spent tilling. I put about 16 yards of last year's oak leaf harvest into the strip in the left. The one on the right got that same treatment last year and I can see the difference in the soil composition being less clumping of clay.
20240427_090719.jpg

No rain for a week and a little spare time last night was spent tilling. I put about 16 yards of last year's oak leaf harvest into the strip in the left. The one on the right got that same treatment last year and I can see the difference in the soil composition being less clumping of clay.View attachment 29227
I didn’t think oak leaves were good mulch in a garden, or so I’ve been told all my life. Maybe that’s dependent on the oak species. Water oaks drive the soil pH so low that it takes a lot of lime to offset the effects. A water oak gives pretty good shade in summer but NOTHING will grow under them and nothing eats the acorns which are about as round and the same size as marbles. Fun stuff on a little slope in the autumn. MILLIONS of little oak trees everywhere you don’t want them in the spring. They drop crap year round. I usually pick up the last of the leaves (biweekly cleanup) just before they start budding in early spring. Very annoying trees, but very welcome shade in summer.

Squirrels eat all the acorns in my yard. They leave the shell remnants all over. The drive gets covered with them and a bit of rain and leaves brown spots.
I also thought they were acidic.

Squirrels eat all the acorns in my yard. They leave the shell remnants all over. The drive gets covered with them and a bit of rain and leaves brown spots.
I also thought they were acidic.
We apparently have picky squirrels. They will walk past water oak acorns and climb up in an engine bay to find some oily plastic to chew on. Weirdos.

I didn’t think oak leaves were good mulch in a garden,
They are actually pretty neutral from what I've measured via the "put some soil in a known pH water then measure again to see which way things move" method. These are white and red oaks on my property. It's great since I have so many of them...they gotta go somewhere!

Back