Separate Post-Boil & Post-Chill log types

Mont Y. Märzen

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have separate log types for Post-Boil and Post-Chill. (as I understand it, Post-Boil currently *is* Post-Chill, named 'Boil Complete' in the logs)

This would aid in tracking loss to chilling, which I've found can vary considerably with the chilling method or equipment used. (possibly due to cold-break formation and location of the break) I know 'science' says it should generally be 4% regardless, but my actual experience shows otherwise ranging anywhere from 10–12% for immersion coils, and 7–8% for plate chillers. (currently now tracking a new Stainless CF, which recently hit 14.8%!)

Ideally, in line with my other request to automatically track a running average of data points and auto-updating the various Equipment Profiles, this chill loss could be tracked and auto-updated as well. (which might necessitate a separate Chiller Type profile, I'm not sure)

Last edited:
It would be nice to have separate log types for Post-Boil and Post-Chill. (as I understand it, Post-Boil currently *is* Post-Chill, named 'Boil Complete' in the logs)

This would aid in tracking loss to chilling, which I've found can vary considerably with the chilling method or equipment used. (possibly due to cold-break formation and location of the break) I know 'science' says it should generally be 4% regardless, but my actual experience shows otherwise ranging anywhere from 10–12% for immersion coils, and 7–8% for plate chillers. (currently now tracking a new Stainless CF, which recently hit 14.8%!)

Ideally, in line with my other request to automatically track a running average of data points and auto-updating the various Equipment Profiles, this chill loss could be tracked and auto-updated as well. (which might necessitate a separate Chiller Type profile, I'm not sure)
I'm open to ideas here, but just to confirm you're seeing 14.8% shrinkage? or 14.8% shrinkage AND volume loss due to undrainable volume in either the boil kettle, or the chillers? You should only be seeing 4-4.8% volumetric shrinkage due to thermal expansion from boil temp to room temp. You'll see some slight variation due to differences in break material, generally from the grain bills protein content.

For losses in volume that would best be compared from boil complete (in kettle) to brew day complete (in fermenter).

I'm open to ideas here, but just to confirm you're seeing 14.8% shrinkage? or 14.8% shrinkage AND volume loss due to undrainable volume in either the boil kettle, or the chillers? You should only be seeing 4-4.8% volumetric shrinkage due to thermal expansion from boil temp to room temp. You'll see some slight variation due to differences in break material, generally from the grain bills protein content.

For losses in volume that would best be compared from boil complete (in kettle) to brew day complete (in fermenter).
Yes, 14.8% shrinkage just from cooling.

I'll have to look at the previous few brews using this chiller to see where that lands, if it is an outlier.

I understand thermal expansion says 4–4.8%, but I've never using any chilling method (IC, CFC, or Plate) every experienced anything less than 8%. And yes, I have tried to take very accurate measurements using a tape measure and calculating gallons/inch for my vessels. I presently have 8% in my equipment profiles as that seems to be a running average. Using that, I don't miss my volumes too often unless I over-boil or have higher grain absorption than usual.

Back