Possible issue with color estimation

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the recipe for a brown ale I brewed today, with a predicted SRM of 19 using 1 oz of midnight wheat grain
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1140913/india-brown-ale

And here's a picture of said brew with 1 oz of midnight wheat malt.
20210419_141346.jpg

I weighed it myself, but it's possible the scale was off by +/- 0.2 oz. After brewing, I messed with the recipe and it would've taken 2-2.5 oz of dark malt to reach the color of the beer I ended up with.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Just curious, did it look that dark as you were transferring it to the carboy? The simple explanation would be that it just looks that dark as a full volume, and when you pour it in a glass it will look much lighter. Other than that, either a measurement error or the L ratings on your ingredients are off.

That's a good point, I dumped it through a funnel but maybe through siphon tubing the color would be closer. I suppose I should wait and see what it looks like in the glass

This what that 17 SRM brown ale looked like in the fermenter btw. Looks a bit different than my brew from yesterday :confused:
20201207_093111.jpg

Mine always looks too dark in the fermenter and it freaks me out. Have to remind myself it won't be that dark in the glass. Except my porter, that was deliciously dark in the fermenter and the glass:D

Back