Newb sausage maker questions...

miaamelia

Reaction score
I am ready to dive into some serious sausage making and have read a few books so far on the subject but one thing that is seemingly eluding me is the proper grind method for meat prep.

I hear a lot of differing opinions on just how to do the grind step.

I ask the forum members to give me a hand in answering a few questions.

#1 One grind or two?
#1a Why and when would one use 2 grinds over a single grind?

#2 Can one grind with the fine plate for the initial grind?
#2a Would this be as good as 2 grinds through a coarse plate?

#3 When to add spices? (Before grinding, between first and second grind, after grinding.)

#4 Necessity of a meat mixer?

I will be making some summer, merguez, and some old style Polska Kielbasa Wedzona with a 3 day cold smoke and want to make sure I have the grind down right.

I am ready to dive into some serious sausage making and have read a few books so far on the subject but one thing that is seemingly eluding me is the proper grind method for meat prep.

I hear a lot of differing opinions on just how to do the grind step.

I ask the forum members to give me a hand in answering a few questions.

#1 One grind or two?
#1a Why and when would one use 2 grinds over a single grind?

#2 Can one grind with the fine plate for the initial grind?
#2a Would this be as good as 2 grinds through a coarse plate?

#3 When to add spices blender for Grinding Spices? (Before grinding, between the first and second grind, after grinding.)

#4 Necessity of a meat mixer?

I will be making some summer, merguez, and some old-style Polska Kielbasa Wedzona with a 3-day cold smoke and want to make sure I have the grind down right.
Thanks all for your help in advance.

Cold smoking is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing

1. Two. Coarse first, then fine.
2. No, because it’s really hard to grind that fine the first time if you start with intact meat
3. Doesn’t matter, but after grinding and mixing well at least after the coarse grind.
4. I don’t know what a meat mixer would do, if you’re doing household sized batches.

Most of my sausages are fine, but some are medium grind depending what I’m making. I don’t cold smoke though.

I agree with @Yooper 's comments.

I can only add that coarse or two depends on what you are making. Chorizo needs a fine grind, bologna a super fine grind, while mortadella a very coarse grind.

The best way is to think about what you've seen for the kind of sausage you're making. If the chunks or particles or large, then of course grind. If it's more uniform inside, like Italian sausage, then a second fine grind might be appropriate. As examples.

I got a feeling mia is more or less an AI bot, trying to get a response...

But I was serious: if you don't know what you are doing, you are better of making fresh sausages.
Cold smoking requires the use of nitrites.
(Cold smoking is below 74 or 76 oC, can't really remember, above is warm or hot smoking).
Stanley Marianski's book "home production of....." is quite good as is their website and forum (www.meatsandsausages.com and http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/)

But I was serious: if you don't know what you are doing, you are better of making fresh sausages.
(Cold smoking is below 74 or 76 oC, can't really remember, above is warm or hot smoking).
Stanley Marianski's book "home production of....." is quite good as is their website and forum (www.meatsandsausages.com and http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/)
I think you've hit the nail on the head Zambezi ;).

Yes, it could be a bot……….but I the the topic is actually one that many of us are interested in.

I do a lot of fermented foods, but haven’t experimented with fermented meat..smoking and things, yes, but not fermenting it much.

Yes, it could be a bot……….but I the the topic is actually one that many of us are interested in.

I do a lot of fermented foods, but haven’t experimented with fermented meat..smoking and things, yes, but not fermenting it much.
The links I posted are really worthwhile.
Which reminds me that I should get out my equipment and make some sausages as it is winter now.

The links I posted are really worthwhile.
Which reminds me that I should get out my equipment and make some sausages as it is winter now.
Imma try making Boudin with recipe from meatandsausages, sounds easy enough. Damn that site has a lot of recipes!

Back