Kitchen remodel from start to finish

miaamelia

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I thought that I'd start a thread about my kitchen renovation as it progresses.

As you can tell, it's quite old and dated with lots of places for dust and dirt to settle. The sink is yellowy, with a grotty tap. There's clearly been a leak under the sink as the base of the cabinet had bowed and sunk.

We're going for a modern look. Light grey cabinets with white quartz worktop and along the wall with the chimney breast there will be a wall of cabinets, anthracite in colour, with inbuilt ovens and fridge-freezer and an Artline larder (shelves slide out as you open the door). There will be an induction hob with a ceiling mounted extractor above that vents to outside. The entrance will also be widened to make it a bit more open plan.

It's going to take 3 weeks or so to complete with demolition starting tomorrow. It's going to be an awful time but can't wait for the final result as we've been saving for a while for this.

Here's some pics of how it looks currently and I will update as time goes by.

Hi guys.

I thought that I'd start a thread about my kitchen renovation as it progresses.

As you can tell, it's quite old and dated with lots of places for dust and dirt to settle. The sink is yellowy, with a grotty tap. There's clearly been a leak under the sink as the base of the cabinet had bowed and sunk.

We're going for a modern look. Light grey cabinets with white quartz worktop and along the wall with the chimney breast there will be a wall of cabinets, anthracite in colour, with inbuilt ovens and fridge-freezer and an Artline larder (shelves slide out as you open the door). There will be an induction hob with a ceiling mounted extractor above that vents to outside. The entrance will also be widened to make it a bit more open plan.

It's going to take 3 weeks or so to complete with demolition starting tomorrow. It's going to be an awful time but can't wait for the final result as we've been saving for a while for this.

Here's some pics of how it looks currently and I will update as time goes by.

i got this company as a suggestion from someone https://mayflowerva.com

appreciate any help and thoughts. thanks

Looking forward to following your progress!

I hope you have planned for lighting upgrades, they can make a huge difference

Your kitchen looks so much less dated than the 1950s era kitchen I am currently remodeling. If my kitchen looked like yours, there is no way my wife would have talked me into remodeling it. But I did hold her off for 25 years :D! Are you having it done professionally or are you doing it yourself. I'm doing the remodel myself, so it's going slow. Only real problem has been getting floor level enough for the vinyl plank flooring.

you need more ketchup

Obviously dated, not painted white.

Your kitchen renovation project sounds like a real transformation in the making. Going from old and dated to modern and sleek with light grey cabinets and white quartz worktops is a fantastic choice.

We've also recently started our kitchen remodeling. We are on a budget, so decided to start with the main things like replacing windows and floors. But we can't decide what material will be the best. I looked through the empire today reviews and it seems that a lot of people prefer vinyl floors in the kitchen. Are they better than tile?

Last edited:
First off, I have tile. And do like it.
Tile is kind of permanent
Tile has grout that gets grubby
Tile is tough, I am clutzy and drop things and have no broken tiles.
Deb has vinyle and likes it.
Easy to clean
Nice looking
Water doesn't hurt it
Replaceable some day (hint)
Quickly installed
I just hate the one place that makes a poping noise when you step on it

Your kitchen looks so much less dated than the 1950s era kitchen I am currently remodeling. If my kitchen looked like yours, there is no way my wife would have talked me into remodeling it. But I did hold her off for 25 years :D! Are you having it done professionally or are you doing it yourself. I'm doing the remodel myself, so it's going slow. Only real problem has been getting floor level enough for the vinyl plank flooring.
it will never be perfect unless you rip it all the way down to the floor joists and then very labor intensively fir out every single joist.

get it close enough and then lay in your floor. find the soft spots. fill them with the floor glue stuff(you drill 2 small holes and pump it in and it fills the void but also is an adhesive) it isnt cheap, but its a lot better then having the vinyl crack in a few years from flexing. You can get it from Homedepot/lowes. ill look and see if i can grab a link.

Im starting my 3rd full house renovation...wish me luck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fix-A-F...TOPMMXTStIpqty-Y9p0aAmiuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This stuff is awesome. it works on tile and vinyl. SUPER EASY.

@west1m @Maale

Last edited:
We've also recently started our kitchen remodeling. We are on a budget, so decided to start with the main things like replacing windows and floors. But we can't decide what material will be the best. I looked through the reviews and it seems that a lot of people prefer vinyl floors in the kitchen. Are they better than tile?
They are very easy to install and hold up really well. I did property maintence for rentals in a prior life and would 100% use a good quality vinyl plank floor in my own house.

You can also very easily install them yourself.

Tile is not hard if you have the skills, but it is also pretty expensive. Tile will generally outlast vinyl assuming it was installed properly.

DIY you can do it, but its hard on the back and knees. If you are a very particular person it can be very satisfying. I have done several full tile bathroom floors, showers, entry ways, patios, etc. I love doing tile, but im also good at it and it satisfies my lizard brain!

Back