I would love feed back on this Double Juicy/Hazy IPA

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1451362

I finally have some Hazy IPA yeast. So this will be my first attempt at an actual Hazy using proper yeasties(not just Voss). It is about as big as my system can handle with only mashing in twice(spliting the grain bill). I COULD do a 3rd mash in, but my efficiency would REALLY suffer.

Let me know what yall think? I am gonna probably brew this tomorrow!

It isn't complicated LOL.
And, a good yeast? Very nice.

It isn't complicated LOL.
And, a good yeast? Very nice.
I did think about adding dextrin just to see if anyone called me out on it! I think it will be nice. I would like to dryhop it during fermentation, but im not really sure about the timing on it. Plus i will likely have to transfer it to a brite tank as i wont have space in my cooler for it right away.

I wasn't going to call you out because of all the flaked stuff. You probably need something fermentable to get you up that high

I would...
drop the crystal
drop the corn sugar
add flaked wheat at about 7-8%
lose the boil hops all together
whirlpool at 80C for 20 minutes
keep the bitterness down to 35
Chlorides need to be double or triple that of your sulfates to get the soft pillowy mouth feel you should be looking for
Yeast isn't critical, I personally use VOSS and ferment around 39C, it goes quick, and finishes pretty clean
But that's just me, it's your beer

If you have the corn sugar in there to boost ABV, use Malt extract if it is a system size thing...
If you really want to add a bit more mouthfeel to it, maybe add some lactose, not too much, you don't want it to be too sweet.
Oh, I just looked at your mash schedule, mash higher, like 155F-156F

You want to accentuate the malt in this beer, treat it a bit like a porter, or stout.
Doing this will also bring out the juicy flavors of the hops.
I have people ask me what fruit I have added, nonce I say, all that flavor is from the hops.

If you have the corn sugar in there to boost ABV, use Malt extract if it is a system size thing...
I might order a bag of it for this purpose, but i keep dextrose on hand to adjust abv if i need it, also for the sours.
If you really want to add a bit more mouthfeel to it, maybe add some lactose, not too much, you don't want it to be too sweet.
Oh, I just looked at your mash schedule, mash higher, like 155F-156F
My system is really shitty. I have very crappy temp control during the mash as i have to flow through a tube. with this recipe i was basically maxed out on each tube. So when my readout reads 149, thats at the bottom of the tube, but the top of the tube will only be 146. I have not had alot of success at higher temps. I already struggle with getting shitty attenuation on most beers(76% on average even with voss). Basically half of my grain bed is 149 and the rest is like 146...

I think that i will up my o2 and possibly my yeast nutrient on this batch and see how my numbers look.
You want to accentuate the malt in this beer, treat it a bit like a porter, or stout.
Im fighting attenuation issues as it stands. once i get that issue more under control, i will start shifting my mash in temps around to adjust for styles!
Doing this will also bring out the juicy flavors of the hops.
I have people ask me what fruit I have added, nonce I say, all that flavor is from the hops.
I expect this guy to finish in the mid 4s plato and hopefully i get up over 8.2%...

This guy is getting close to terminal gravity its at 5.1p (73% attenuation) today. I have never used this yeast so i was not comfy dryhopping it mid fermentation to avoid hop creep. Once i have a few fermenations under my belt i will toss the hops in earlier and see how that works out. I also dont work on weekends so that plays a factor on when i dryhop/crash beers.

I am planning on dryhopping on Friday afternoon and then crashing it on Monday morning, Carbing/packing it on Tuesday.

I don't "cold crash" hazy beers. I just bring them down to serving temperature for a day or two before kegging.
Brewed this one Friday, kegged it Wednesday AM.
Came out at 4.9%, it is one of the best I have ever brewed
20240220_172639.jpg

Look forward to hearing how this comes out, let's see it!

I don't "cold crash" hazy beers. I just bring them down to serving temperature for a day or two before kegging.
Brewed this one Friday, kegged it Wednesday AM.
Came out at 4.9%, it is one of the best I have ever brewed
View attachment 28570
I have to crash everything down to 4c in order to carbonate it.

I tossed hops today! Coworker is gonna come in on Sunday and crash it down to 4c so that I can carb and pack it on Monday!

Unfortunately it's looking like my attenuation is stalling around 5.1p which is only 72% is that to be expected with these hazy type yeasts?

In hindsight. I think that I will just stick with voss for my hazy/juicy ipas. They are grain to glass in sub 10 days, taste great, and stay cloudy for months! I have one that has hung around for close to 3 months(our locals don't really drink big ipas).

I'll let yall know what it's like on Monday when I get in to taste it and crash it!

How about a "Monday after the the Monday" update?
Interested to see and hear how this has turned out for you!

How about a "Monday after the the Monday" update?
Interested to see and hear how this has turned out for you!
So this beer is on draft right now. It is good, but I don't love how low the attenuation was. In my opinion it is a little sweet(finished around 5p) which means that I didn't hit my target 8.2%abv.

It has very low bitterness with a nice fruity flavor. It is not hot(boozy) to me, even though it is 7.9%.

The haze is good the flavors are good, but I don't think that the extra time and lower attenuation improved the overall product.

I am gonna switch back to voss for my general ipa production. Especially since the apex voss is regularly hitting 78-79% attenuation in 3-4 days.

Voss is gonna save my life as this season ramps up. We are already having better numbers before the season even starts then we were doing mid season last year. I am gonna be super pressed on time and space.

I'll take some pictures of this beer next to my session(voss) and the medium ipa(voss) for a haze comparison tomorrow if I remember.

Back