How do you Clean your Beer Lines?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What is your process?

The quickest easiest way (for me) to clean beer lines is with PET bottles, and a Kegland tee (ingenious product!).
Quick and easy, no mess whatsoever.
Of course you need to disassemble the taps from time to time, but I do this every time am changing to a new keg.

Step One
Run 2 liters of hot water through the line to rinse the beer out.
1708361885089.png

1708362010798.png

Step Two
Fill lines with a hot water and beer line cleaner mixture, and leave for about 10 minutes.
1708362064721.png

Step Three
Run 2 liters of hot water through the line to rinse out the beer line cleaner.
The cleaning done is evident from the color of the rinse water.
No point posting the same picture as in step one here...

Step Four
Run sanitizer into the line, and Robert is your Mother's Brother!
1708362355002.png

Interested to hear how others clean their lines!

Well...my beer lines only consist of the 5-6' of lines that run from the keg to the picnic tap. When the keg kicks, it gets stripped down, rinsed and filled with an Alkaline Brewery Wash solution. Everything (hose, tap, disconnects, top-draw system etc.) goes in the keg for an overnight soak and a good rinse the next day. Not very sophisticated, but it gets the job done.

Between kegs, depending on the urgency for beer, I just push the next beer thru. With more time, I usually run a no rinse cleaner thru the lines and soak the faucets.

I use a Diaphragm Pump. Heat the water to about 160F, then use Pbw first. (about a 20-30 minute wash)

I have ball lock Tips for the faucets, so I Dailey chain all the faucets together and clean em at once.

After the pbw, I use beerline cleaner. Great stuff! Gets rid of beer stone and just about anything else. Make sure you rinse really well. Stuff is kinda toxic.

Have never had issues with beer lines getting yucky, do it every 6-12 months.

I either push cleaner through from a keg using CO2 or I fill a spray bottle and then use a plastic connector from the spray bottle to the ball lock disconnect and use gravity/squeezing the bottle. I should take my taps apart way more often than I do lol
20240219_180743.jpg

Last edited:
Like @Megary, I use picnic taps exclusively. I disassemble both ends, wash with soap, reassemble and fill with starsan.

I suppose I should fill them with pbw, soak & rinse, but so far I've been ok without it.

I only clean once the keg is empty.

Picnic taps here and small kegs.
Rinse keg couple of times with hot water.
Clean outside of beer lines.
Put starsan iin keg and put some pressure on it. Push water through beer line, dip tube and pucnic tap. Keep going when water is gone to use the remaining gas to dry them out on the inside.
Put keg upside down to dry thoroughly and put away dip line etc

Making me look bad. All I have been doing is running hot tap water through them and putting them on a new keg.

Making me look bad. All I have been doing is running hot tap water through them and putting them on a new keg.
Hey, if it works...

The alcohol still has some disinfectant capabilities, even at a couple percent.
I only wash them because it is easy and to get any dried gunk off. I store them with starsan inside until I need them.

Every 2-3 weeks,
Hot water cycle
12 pH hot caustic cycle
Hot water cycle
Warm acid cycle
Fill and leave filled with Star San.
Flush with beer prior to serving.
...... Oh, you mean my home lines? Haha,
I don't maintain those often enough.

Back