Helles Lager w/o Pilsner malt?

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
All,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1441425

I have been working on an Export Helles style lager. I dont have Pilsner malt on hand, only 2Row. Im not sure that i can really mimic pilsner malt with 2row, but from my previous brews, I dont think that it will make a HUGE difference.

I will be fermenting this with APEX Munich Lager yeast at low temps. I plan on doing a Diacetyl rest and will hopefully be able to lager it for close to a month.

I have never used Loral as a bittering hop, but it apparently is a good option for a noble bittering hop???

I bet most people wont know the difference. it will be slightly darker (2°P vs 4°P)

never used that hop, so you got me on that one.

I bet most people wont know the difference. it will be slightly darker (2°P vs 4°P)

never used that hop, so you got me on that one.
Most of the recipes that i found had the SRM at around 4-6 so that shouldnt be a big difference. I just planned on using slightly less M1 and Victory malt. I might have a chance to brew it next week, so i might just remove the Victory entirely.

I really like loral and the cryo version is 19AA which is awesome. I was thinking that the Combo of the Loral/willamette/mandarina bavaria would be good? It might be better to just stick with Loral/Willamette?

I can taste the Pilsner vs. the 2 Row, but not everyone can.

That's certainly a unique recipe for a light lager. With the greater expense of cryohops, I wonder if it'd be best to save them for a pale ale/IPA instead?

That's certainly a unique recipe for a light lager. With the greater expense of cryohops, I wonder if it'd be best to save them for a pale ale/IPA instead?
The recipe with the black prinz was really good actually. I found something similar online and was intrigued. Cool recipe and good beer! So I figured that along the same line a very small amount of a flavorful grain in an otherwise simple recipe.

Honestly I use about half the weight of cryo compared to t90 and the cryo cost about twice what t90 cost.

Loral cryo was probably $25/lb? Mosaic and such are about $31/lb?

My total costs on the batch are like $160 for 4 kegs of beer all in(labor/yeast/ingredients/etc).

The additional yield from using the cryo is worth any additional cost over t90. I'm pushing out 2bbls of beer out of a brewhouse meant to hold 2hL so I'm already pushing it to get what I am getting.

The recipe with the black prinz was really good actually. I found something similar online and was intrigued. Cool recipe and good beer! So I figured that along the same line a very small amount of a flavorful grain in an otherwise simple recipe.

Honestly I use about half the weight of cryo compared to t90 and the cryo cost about twice what t90 cost.

Loral cryo was probably $25/lb? Mosaic and such are about $31/lb?

My total costs on the batch are like $160 for 4 kegs of beer all in(labor/yeast/ingredients/etc).

The additional yield from using the cryo is worth any additional cost over t90. I'm pushing out 2bbls of beer out of a brewhouse meant to hold 2hL so I'm already pushing it to get what I am getting.
have you tried hops direct, they have large quantities, not sure about cryo

This guy has dropped down to 78% Attenuation. It is super yummy. I will update once its crashed and carbonated! If anyone is interested, I can drop the recipe down to a 5 gal batch if anyone wants to try it!

I highly highly recommend it!

Filling the kegs! Crystal clear!

Attachments

• 20240123_114108.jpg
    20240123_114108.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 20
All,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/1441425

I have been working on an Export Helles style lager. I dont have Pilsner malt on hand, only 2Row. Im not sure that i can really mimic pilsner malt with 2row, but from my previous brews, I dont think that it will make a HUGE difference.

I will be fermenting this with APEX Munich Lager yeast at low temps. I plan on doing a Diacetyl rest and will hopefully be able to lager it for close to a month.

I have never used Loral as a bittering hop, but it apparently is a good option for a noble bittering hop???
As most people have said, it may not be perfect to style, but 95% of people won't be able to tell, and the 5% who can will probably still agree that it makes for a good beer.

As most people have said, it may not be perfect to style, but 95% of people won't be able to tell, and the 5% who can will probably still agree that it makes for a good beer.
Honestly I don't think that the 5% would know. It's very subtle. Honestly it's a very good beer and an interesting recipe.

Like I said above I did one with black prinz that came our great as well.

It's a cool way to get different colors with very light flavor addition.

Back