Graf ferment question

JStockton

Premium Member
Reaction score
I created a custom recipe (my first original) of a type of toasted oatmeal crisp ale beer. My guess was off a bit on mash grain water loss so it only came in about 1.052 to fermenter. About half a percent ABV lower of what I was looking for. Why you experiment. I mixed this brewed ale using a hop I find I don't like as much as I guessed, mixed with some fresh honeycrisp apple 50/50.
All of this to ask the question, sorry. I made a gallon of pure beer to see what the base would be like. Then I made a gallon of 50/50 with juice. The graf went from 1.050 to 1.011 and did what I asked. Mangrove Jack Cider yeast. I used the other half of the dry pack (more than enough) to ferment the beer also.
The beer only came down to 1.020 after 15 days. I put it in a clean secondary glass gallon off the sediment and am going to let it sit and continue to clear.
Should the Cider yeast have been able to ferment the beer all the way down to at least 1.010-1.012 also or is it a yeast type issue?

Yeast attenuation depends on many factors. Here, it has to do with the kinds of sugars present and the yeast's capabilities. Wort doesn't have a lot of fructose, but cider does, for example. So even if both had the same pitch rate, temperature, and so on, their sugars differed, so the result differed as well.

Back