False bottom filter thickness

Mastoras007

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Good Evening.
how thick should the filter on the false bottom of the mash tank?
I mean that filter for filtering the beer from the grain not just the false bottom!
0.08mm is ok or too thin?

Good Evening.
how thick should the filter on the false bottom of the mash tank?
I mean that filter for filtering the beer from the grain not just the false bottom!
0.08mm is ok or too thin?
are you talking about an actual filter?(like paper) cause I dont know anyone that uses a filter. the grain filters itself as it drains.

are you talking about an actual filter?(like paper) cause I dont know anyone that uses a filter. the grain filters itself as it drains.

I mean the mesh, That used for drain liquid and keep the grain inside the tank

I'd think it would.
If it's a mesh basket the shape would give it strength but a false bottom would need to be thicker.

Stainless is pretty tough stuff.

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews I saw you had a false bottom how thick is that 2mm?

I want to buy a sheet of stainless steel mesh but the thicker i found to my local market os 0,08mm.
Any way i can older online some but I'm not sure yet for the thickness i need

I want to buy a sheet of stainless steel mesh but the thicker i found to my local market os 0,08mm.
Any way i can older online some but I'm not sure yet for the thickness i need
Ah ok. As long as you support it with something under it. Like cross members for bottom, that should work. I made something like that a long time ago

I'd think it would.
If it's a mesh basket the shape would give it strength but a false bottom would need to be thicker.

Stainless is pretty tough stuff.

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews I saw you had a false bottom how thick is that 2mm?
Not sure, I actually have 2 I’ve used on the mash tun, started with a 13” domed one(I think Concord Kettles brand) switched to a standard robobrew 65l one as it’s the same diameter as my tun. Frankly I’m going back to the domed one next brew.(less dead space).

Back