Ethical Question about recipe author

Brew Captain

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I found a recipe I liked and copied it to edit some changes. After my changes i realized I kept nothing from the original recipe except the type of hops. my question is do I leave the original authors name or has this become a new recipe/author. I have no issue with givin the original author the credit for the inspiration but also don’t want to offend by butchering his work. Opinions?

The only time I will cite the author or source is if I’m brewing a recipe “as is”. In your situation, I would just write something in the description/notes section of the recipe editor that this is “inspired by” or “a tribute to” the source recipe. Not sure that’s the right way.

Probably only really matters if you are selling it, advertising it as your own, but calling it whatever the author called it...

If I've only made minor tweaks to the recipe, I keep the original author. If I've made big changes like adding/removing grains (not just substituting for what's available), I'll put myself as author. But even then I have a url in the notes pointing to the original recipe.

I guess when if comes to a recipe's author or name, Barbarossa sums it up best...

1709434161990.png

Thanks for all the great input. Yep, I think your suggestions are exactly how I’ll proceed.

Back