Cleaning regulator, overfilled keg and got beer in gas line

Simonpyman

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So how do you clean the gas regulator… do i have to clean it immediately? i made the mistake of overfilling the keg and when turning down the pressure and I burped the regulator valve and beer went out the valve, doh!

The good news is my irish red ale is carbonated and tastes good haha!
IMG_8167.jpeg

Not sure you can. The purge valve is past the regulator though. Just rinse the air line

Not sure you can. The purge valve is past the regulator though. Just rinse the air line
Oh really? I would have thought that the inside of the regulator would have been in contact with beer and would affect regulator performance (ie. Inside parts getting sticky).

Oh really? I would have thought that the inside of the regulator would have been in contact with beer and would affect regulator performance (ie. Inside parts getting sticky).
not saying it didnt :confused:

I looked it up, appearantly you can take them apart. look up the exploded view of the model you have. it would seem they come apart pretty easy.

I looked it up, appearantly you can take them apart. look up the exploded view of the model you have. it would seem they come apart pretty easy.
Cool, i will look up the exploded view and clean tomorrow

If beer got in, it needs to be disassembled and rinsed with hot water. Pay extra careful attention to how it comes apart, take notes and photos, since incorrect reassembly can damage it. Let everything dry thoroughly before reassembly.

If beer got in, it needs to be disassembled and rinsed with hot water. Pay extra careful attention to how it comes apart, take notes and photos, since incorrect reassembly can damage it. Let everything dry thoroughly before reassembly.
I emailed Komos directly for disassembly instructions and also asked if I should install a valve before the regulator to avoid this happening again should i overfill a keg again. Which leads me to another question, how full is too full when filling a keg?

1708529450486.png

I emailed Komos directly for disassembly instructions and also asked if I should install a valve before the regulator to avoid this happening again should i overfill a keg again. Which leads me to another question, how full is too full when filling a keg?

View attachment 28556
You can get check valves pretty cheap that will solve this.

I would say if the liquid level is above the gas tube. ;)

a check valve would be a good idea. Disassemble, rinse with water, be very careful to remember the orientation of parts when putting it back together! you got this! as Don said pictures at every step!

When liquid comes out of the gas port, it is too full. When filling a keg, I put a gas connector on the port and stop when foam starts spitting out. I also keep my gas tubes at standard length, about 1.5 inches. That leaves a good head space.

When liquid comes out of the gas port, it is too full. When filling a keg, I put a gas connector on the port and stop when foam starts spitting out. I also keep my gas tubes at standard length, about 1.5 inches. That leaves a good head space.
Exactly what I do

Komos said they didn't have disassembly instructions/exploded view of their regulator, where did you find the exploded view?

I didn't search for yours. Just a Google search of "co2 reg disassembly"

If you are mechanical, should be able to do it. Worst case you ruin it and have to buy a new one.

If it were me. I would just see if it still works. Disconnect your kegs in case it isn't.

I didn't search for yours. Just a Google search of "co2 reg disassembly"

If you are mechanical, should be able to do it. Worst case you ruin it and have to buy a new one.

If it were me. I would just see if it still works. Disconnect your kegs in case it isn't.
Ah, ok! I asked Komos again and they did find service instructions of which I attached should someone else need it. I am not mechanical but it doesn't seem too difficult. The regulator still works but you can tell there was liquid inside.

Attachments

• KegLand_Regulator_Servicing_Manual.pdf
    645.3 KB · Views: 26

Back