Classic Belgian Saison

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am fully aware that I will not end up with a clone of Dupont- but now that I have a new systme that can properly step mash I am going to give one of my favorite styles a run in its purest form without spices or fruit. I also plan to ferment with 3724, which is not something I've done before. I do do have the capability to mash at 85 degrees, and that is the plan.

I would welcome any advice or comments on my recipe, as well as on the use of belgian saison yeasts.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1446635/cajun-saison

Thank you!

Last edited:
I've done a couple that turned out. Pils/Wheat/Candi Sugar? Probably can't go too wrong with that. I used the White Labs Belgian on my last one. I used blueberries though. Start at 68 and go up. Don't start high and go down. You will see all kinds of posts about stalling doing that.
I have also done a really clean French Saison with close to your grain bill. French Saison yeast will eat everything and ferment very dry. Mine went to 1.002 (not a typo) going from 68-74 degrees. It had more of the character that I like in the Saison style.
Let that beer sit for a few weeks. My French tasted like shit after fermentation. After a few weeks, it was awesome.

I think I used a blow off tube for those too. The regular Belgian Ale Yeast? DEFINITELY use a blow off tube.

I am fully aware that I will not end up with a clone of Dupont- but now that I have a new systme that can properly step mash I am going to give one of my favorite styles a run in its purest form without spices or fruit. I also plan to ferment with 3724, which is not something I've done before. I do do have the capability to mash at 85 degrees, and that is the plan.

I would welcome any advice or comments on my recipe, as well as on the use of belgian saison yeasts.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1446635/cajun-saison

Thank you!
My opinion: I'd change the 115 rest to 105, and eliminate the 135, and allow the first two rests run a bit longer (15-20 min).

Fermenting on the higher end (85-87), as you propose, is good. It stresses the yeast (in a good way) to produce some of the flavor esters typical of a Belgian. Fermenting this beer cold would make it too clean.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

Please note that my opinion and a dollar won't get you a coffee at McDonald's...

My opinion: I'd change the 115 rest to 105, and eliminate the 135, and allow the first two rests run a bit longer (15-20 min).

Fermenting on the higher end (85-87), as you propose, is good. It stresses the yeast (in a good way) to produce some of the flavor esters typical of a Belgian. Fermenting this beer cold would make it too clean.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

Please note that my opinion and a dollar won't get you a coffee at McDonald's...
Thank you. Honestly the mash schedule is something I'm not married to. I know dupont raises the temp 1 degree every minute from 113 to 170. Haha, that's not gonna happen, but this is a condensed version of that. I know a little about the why on most of the rests, but that's the place I need to do more reading.

Sure are making the most of the Step mashing.

Yup if you can turn your element down to lower wattage just a really slow ramp will do perfectly.

CAJUN saison man I Love that spice I did check to see if you were crazy enough to use it Nope :D .

Saison is a very forgiving style with a broad range of flavours and ingredients I wish you a successful brew.

I can't step mash without it being a pain in the ass. Brew in a bag, need I say more? My single infusions did work. I used 2 lbs of wheat so plenty of protein for a head. Also mashed around 148.

Sure are making the most of the Step mashing.

Yup if you can turn your element down to lower wattage just a really slow ramp will do perfectly.

CAJUN saison man I Love that spice I did check to see if you were crazy enough to use it Nope :D .

Saison is a very forgiving style with a broad range of flavours and ingredients I wish you a successful brew.
Haha, yeah, no spices- but I am brewing this for a crawfish boil, hence the "cajun" name.

Could just use the French yeast. It would fit in pretty well, right?

Could just use the French yeast. It would fit in pretty well, right?
Honestly I prefer the flavor of the belgian strain, but next time I may do that. I know it's extremely easy to use and attenuate crazy dry. Maybe I'll do that next time for a comparison...

Had a very smooth and enjoyable brew day for this one. Into the fermenter Saturday evening, hit high Krausen sometime early monday morning. humming right along at 72 degrees, will ramp up to 80 in about a week.

1705936370844.png
1705936370844.png

Back