belgian tripel

Blues N Brew

Trial Member
Reaction score
first tripel i will be brewing, some feedback on this recipe if it sounds like a good recipe, i took some of it from online and some things i am doing on my own like the water part, tell me how it sounds please

3 gallon batch AG- 90 min boil
7lbs belgian pilsner
2oz belgian aromatic
550 grams of can sugar(late addition 5 mins left)

for bittering im either going styrian goldings or tettnanger -60 mins
flavor/aroma 1 oz saaz 10 mins

yeast i settled on wy3787

and for water distilled water and add 1.75 grams of gypsum
3 grams of calcium chloride and 3 ml of 88% lactic acid to get mash ph target of 5.2-5.3 and add more if needed

all in all sound proper? any recommendations are welcome thank you

I can't offer anything from personal experience, but I would direct you to David Heath's youtube channel. He has a recipe writing guide, in which he has a dubbel, tripel, and a quad, and has his tried and true recipe for each in each video. Any recipe I have brewed of David's has been bang on, and has been an outstanding beverage. Check him out. He is very dry, and actually pretty boring, but look past that for some great brewing information.

I can't offer anything from personal experience, but I would direct you to David Heath's youtube channel. He has a recipe writing guide, in which he has a dubbel, tripel, and a quad, and has his tried and true recipe for each in each video. Any recipe I have brewed of David's has been bang on, and has been an outstanding beverage. Check him out. He is very dry, and actually pretty boring, but look past that for some great brewing information.
hey i notice you have a maple leaves avatar and your name is craig are you craigtube? if so been a fan since 2007

Your tripel recipe looks sound to me, on both malts and hop choices.

How much IBU are you shooting for? And what ABV?

I don't know the yeast though.

Your tripel recipe looks sound to me, on both malts and hop choices.

How much IBU are you shooting for? And what ABV?

I don't know the yeast though.
the higher end like 35 give or take and ABV about 9% is my target

Don't go too high on your hops as it's (mainly) all about yeasts with them Belgians, esp blonde, double, tripel and quadruppel.

But of course there are more types of beer and it is your brew, so you can do what you want :)

Is there a specific tripel that you know & like?

I haven't used the high gravity yeast, but I know the Ardennes yeast is QUITE active. You may want to have a blow off tube and give yourself some room in the fermenter.
Double check your sugar for that size of a batch. I may be wrong, but over a pound in a 3-gallon batch might be a little high, even for that style. 5 gallons might be close, but I'm not so sure about 3.

20 % sugar seems about normal for the style
I haven't calculated but the proposed recipe seems close.

I usually go for the lower gravity versions, so probably my bad.

Don't go too high on your hops as it's (mainly) all about yeasts with them Belgians, esp blonde, double, tripel and quadruppel.

But of course there are more types of beer and it is your brew, so you can do what you want :)

Is there a specific tripel that you know & like?

i agree with you, reasoning behind going to the upper end is this beer will definitely have a nice amount of time in primary and once bottled wont be dipped into until at least oct halloween time so i figure alot of hop presence will drop off and balance out, but still have good amount, as for specific tripel? it has to be westmalle pretty much the standard of the style, not well versed in tripels to be honest, like them alot but only had a handful, im usually grabbing duvel when at the beer store, cheers

I haven't used the high gravity yeast, but I know the Ardennes yeast is QUITE active. You may want to have a blow off tube and give yourself some room in the fermenter.
Double check your sugar for that size of a batch. I may be wrong, but over a pound in a 3-gallon batch might be a little high, even for that style. 5 gallons might be close, but I'm not so sure about 3.
thank you, i threw the recipe into the calculator here and im @ 14.5% cane sugar, that should be ok in a 9% tripel right? or does like 10% sound better?

I don't like to use that much sugar, but I don't make high gravity beers either. If you have a recipe that looks good to you, go for it. You can tweak the next one.
We never got anything Belgian over here until a few years ago. Less than a decade ago, they just opened our second brewery (we have 20 or 30 now) which introduced me to some Belgian styles. I will never forget the first time I took a 32 oz crowler home filled with a Belgian Strong. I enjoyed the hell out of it on my deck, and then I tried to stand up LOL.
Since then, I have become interested in Saisons. I made one that came out pretty good, and I plan on making another after I stop working so much.
I got into the IPAs a few years ago, and it did a number on my weight and some of the numbers in my blood work. I have dropped the weight and now try to stick with 5 and 6% beers, so I don't drink many Tripels anymore.
I have tried making a single. It was actually decent, but I think I need to change the yeast on it.
Long story short, I don't like using huge amounts of sugar, but Zambezi probably knows a lot more than I do with this style.

first tripel i will be brewing, some feedback on this recipe if it sounds like a good recipe, i took some of it from online and some things i am doing on my own like the water part, tell me how it sounds please

3 gallon batch AG- 90 min boil
7lbs belgian pilsner
2oz belgian aromatic
550 grams of can sugar(late addition 5 mins left)

for bittering im either going styrian goldings or tettnanger -60 mins
flavor/aroma 1 oz saaz 10 mins

yeast i settled on wy3787

and for water distilled water and add 1.75 grams of gypsum
3 grams of calcium chloride and 3 ml of 88% lactic acid to get mash ph target of 5.2-5.3 and add more if needed

all in all sound proper countertop resurfacing dallas? any recommendations are welcome thank you
Your recipe for brewing a Tripel sounds interesting! Here's an overview of the ingredients and process you've mentioned:

1. Malts:
    • 7 lbs of Belgian Pilsner: This is a classic base malt for Tripels and will provide a clean and crisp character.
    • 2 oz of Belgian Aromatic: This specialty malt adds some complexity and enhances the maltiness of the beer.
  2. Sugar:
    • 550 grams of cane sugar (late addition, 5 minutes left): The addition of sugar is typical in Tripel recipes and helps to increase the alcohol content and dry out the beer.
  3. Hops:
    • Bittering: You have the option of using Styrian Goldings or Tettnanger hops for bittering. Both are suitable choices for a Tripel. Aim for the bitterness level that balances well with the malt sweetness.
    • Flavor/Aroma: Adding 1 oz of Saaz hops at 10 minutes remaining in the boil will contribute to the aroma and flavor of the beer. Saaz is a classic hop variety for Belgian styles.
  4. Yeast:
    • WY3787: This is a popular yeast strain for brewing Belgian Tripels. It produces fruity esters and phenolic notes, which are characteristic of the style.
  5. Water:
    • Distilled water: Using distilled water allows you to have full control over the water profile.
    • Gypsum: Adding 1.75 grams of gypsum can help enhance hop bitterness and crispness.
    • Calcium chloride: Adding 3 grams of calcium chloride can contribute to mouthfeel and roundness.
    • Lactic acid: Using 3 ml of 88% lactic acid can help adjust the mash pH to the target range of 5.2-5.3.
Overall, your recipe looks well thought out and aligns with the traditional ingredients and techniques used in brewing Tripels. Here are a few recommendations:

1. Consider adding a small portion of a specialty malt such as Vienna or Munich to add depth and complexity to the malt profile. Around 8-10% of the total grain bill can be used.

2. Ensure you have a proper fermentation temperature control in place, as maintaining a consistent and appropriate fermentation temperature is crucial for producing clean and balanced flavors.

3. Consider adding some yeast nutrient to ensure a healthy fermentation, especially with the addition of sugar.

4. Plan for proper yeast pitching rates and fermentation management to achieve the desired attenuation and flavors.

5. Don't forget to take hydrometer readings before and after fermentation to track your beer's progress and ensure it has reached the desired final gravity.
Remember, brewing is a creative and iterative process, so don't hesitate to experiment and make adjustments based on your taste preferences. Good luck with your brewing!

Back