Bavarian Wheat- Blond Baroness

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't done a hefe since way back in the extract days, done a lot of american wheats and variations of them, but been a long time since I went back to this classic. We're actually planning do to a "radler bar" at our annual crawfish boil with this as the base. Plan is to have a bunch of different fruit juices (pineapple, grapefruit, raspberry pure, OJ, maybe mango?) that folks can mix into it as they like, which my wife, mom, and sisters are all excited about. Also- I got out of brewing a "fruit beer" by using this as a decoy, and get to brew what a like, a beer that tastes like beer!

Anyway, what I've got is below, always enjoy y'alls feedback. I know the Lactic looks like a lot, but I always test it and try to get to my desired mash PH, on this one I chose on the uper end (5.4) as I've read higher PH helps in ester production. Plan to ferm at 65 dgrees.

EDIT- Just realized this is the version prior to taking out the baking soda. Won't be adding that.

1712068047250.png

That looks like a fine hefe recipe. A little heavy on the wheat, not overly so. You might consider a few ounces 4-5) of melanoidin, to add maltiness for a more authentic flavor. (Alternative: double decoction). And, depending on your equipment, more rice hulls won't hurt.

Either way, the yeast will carry it through. But I'd consider 67 or 68 F for fermentation, rising to 72 as you approach 'done'.

Your fighting your pH drop with your baking Soda addition take that out and I'm sure you'll need less lactic Acid to hit your PH.

You dont really need bicarbonates in a wheat beer anyhow really?

well it is your system so you do you ;) .

recipe looks good

Your fighting your pH drop with your baking Soda addition take that out and I'm sure you'll need less lactic Acid to hit your PH.

You dont really need bicarbonates in a wheat beer anyhow really?

well it is your system so you do you ;) .

recipe looks good
I edited this- I have already taken out the BS, accidently tossed that in the calcultor and took a screen shot of the recipe then noticied it later.

That looks like a fine hefe recipe. A little heavy on the wheat, not overly so. You might consider a few ounces 4-5) of melanoidin, to add maltiness for a more authentic flavor. (Alternative: double decoction). And, depending on your equipment, more rice hulls won't hurt.

Either way, the yeast will carry it through. But I'd consider 67 or 68 F for fermentation, rising to 72 as you approach 'done'.
I did actually have some carahell in it to start with, but decided that since I'm decocting I will forgoe it. Also, lots of this beer will be mixed with sweet fruit juices, so keeping it on the drier side was the goal for that.

Back